Tamarind paste recipe with step by step pictures. Everyday basic ingredient in South Indian cooking is now easily made at home. This makes your everyday cooking very convenient.
Tamarind makes an important ingredient in every South Indian cooking. Making them as this pulp and storing makes your cooking easier.
About Tamarind paste
Tamarind is such a basic ingredient in Indian cooking. No recipe is complete without this awesome fruit. The tartness in this makes any gravy spectacular. The one hard thing is extracting the juice from this. Soaking it and then squeezing the pulp and straining it. I really find it hard when you have no time on hand. So i came up with a homemade pulp recipe which makes your life so easier.
It is very easy to make too. You can keep this jar in freezer and use it as you like..This tamarind pulp doesn't freezer rock hard, it freezes hard but you can scrape as mush you need from this. I hope you will love it as much as i do and ask me if you need any help.
Watch Tamarind Pulp Recipe
How to Make Tamarind Paste at Home
Preparing Tamarind Fruit
Take tamarind fruit in a large sauce pan and break open it. Add water to it and bring everything to a boil. Boil it for 20 mins. Now the tamarind must have gotten soft. Now cool this down.
Grinding Tamarind Pulp
Take the cooled tamarind pulp in a blender and puree till super smooth. Grind the tamarind in batches.
Now take the tamarind pulp in the sauce pan again and bring everything to a boil. Boil for 5 mins. Add salt and store.
How to Make Tamarind Paste (Stepwise Pictures)
1)Take seedless tamarind in a sauce pan.
2)Add water to the cover the fruit.
3)Bring it to a boil and cook till the tamarind is soft.
4)Now the tamarind is soft. Let it cool completely.
5)Take the tamarind in a blender and puree till smooth.
6)Now it is ground.
7)Take it in a bowl
8)I added some water into the blender and poured it into the bowl
9)Now pour the tamarind pulp back into the sauce pan.
10)Bring it to a boil and cook for 5 mins.
11)Remove it to a bowl again and let it cool. Add salt and mix well
13)Pour it in a freezer safe container and store in freezer.
Tips & Tricks
- Cool the mixture completely before freezing.
- You can take a little amount of this mixture in a small container and keep it in fridge upto a week and use it.
- This mixture stays good in freezer upto 6 months.
📖 Recipe Card
Tamarind Paste | Tamarind Paste Recipe (Homemade)
- 1 kg Seedless Tamarind Fruit
- Water as needed
- 1 cup Salt
- Take tamarind fruit in a large sauce pan and break open it.
- Add water to it and bring everything to a boil. Boil it for 20 mins. Now the tamarind must have gotten soft.
- Now remove it from heat and allow it and cool for a bit.
- Take the cooled tamarind pulp in a blender and puree till super smooth.
- Take it in a bowl. Grind the tamarind in batches. You can add water as much as needed for grinding.
- Once the whole batch is ground. Rinse the blender with water and add the water to the tamarind pulp. Mix well.
- Now take the tamarind pulp in the sauce pan again and bring everything to a boil. Boil for 5 mins.
- Remove this pulp back to the bowl. Leave to cool a bit.
- Now add salt to the pulp and mix well. Cool completely.
- Transfer this to a large freezer safe container and freeze it.
- You can scrape as much pulp as you need when it is frozen for your recipes.
- You can store the pulp in a small glass jar in fridge as well.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.