Kerala style chicken curry recipe with step by step pictures. Perfect chicken curry taste amazing with roti and rice.
Whenever I decided to cook any side dish for my roti, appam or idiyappam, i never make the same curry again, each time i try to make it differently. Few days back i made this curry which has keralan twist to it and it turned out just awesome.
About this Recipe
Kerala cuisine is a culinary style that originated in Kerala, a southern Indian state. Kerala cuisine includes a wide variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes prepared with fish, poultry, and red meat, with rice as a common accompaniment. Chilies, curry leaves, coconut, mustard seeds, turmeric, tamarind, asafoetida, and other spices are also included in the recipe. Kerala style chicken curry is made from an aromatic blend of many spices. It combines the robust, smoky flavours of cumin and fenugreek with the sweet undertones of cinnamon and cardamom, among other things.
Ingredients for Kerala Style Chicken Curry
Black Pepper Powder :
Peppers distinct flavour complements almost any savoury dish, as well as some sweet dishes. If salt helps to bring out flavours, black pepper makes foods more assertive.
Fennel seeds :
Fennel seeds are the dried seeds of the fennel herb, and they resemble cumin seeds but are greener. They taste aniseed and have a warm, sweet aroma. They can be used alone or in spice blends like Chinese five-spice powder and Indian panch phoran.
Kashmiri Chilli Powder :
Kashmiri chiles are tall, thin, wrinkled red chiles that produce a vibrant red powder valued for its colour and mild spiciness. The chilli has a slightly smokey flavour. This powder is used in Indian cooking to add colour to dishes that don't require a lot of heat.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Kerala Style Chicken Curry Recipe
- For Marination:
- Chicken - 750 grams bone in
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- For Grinding:
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu - 1 tblspn
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 4 cm piece
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 6
- Cloves / Krambu - 6
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tblspn
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblspn
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tblspn
- For Masala:
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Onion - 3 large sliced thinly
- Tomatoes - 4 large sliced thinly
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coconut - ½ cup ground
- Coriander leaves a handful
- Mix all the marination ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Grind all the ingredients given in the list to a fine paste and set aside.
- Heat 2 tblspn of oil and saute the onion till golden. Add in tomatoes and cook till it is mushed up. Now take this in a blender and puree till smooth.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil and add in the ground masala, saute this till oil separates. Now add in the onion tomato masala and salt and cook till it thickens.
- Now add in chicken and mix that through. Cover and cook on a medium heat for 30 to 35 mins till chicken is done.
- Now add in coconut paste and cook for a further 15 mins.
- Now add in coriander leaves and serve.
Step by Step
|Take chicken in a bowl|