I love coconut rice..Amma makes it often for lunch on weekdays, since it is so easy peasy to make..Actually it taste so great as it is..So you don’t need any side dish with this..If you want some thing to go also with this, you could make Potato Roast.
I made it yesterday but i used saamai rice to make it, since it is so healthy. It turned out so delicious, even hubby loved it so much.You can cook millets using this method as well.
Barnyard Millet Pongal
Kambu Curd Rice
Barnyard Millet Kozhukattai
Grandma’s Horsegram Kuzhambu
I hope you love this and let me know what you think..
- Saamai Rice - 1/2 cup
- Coconut - 1/2 cup Freshly Grated
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Urad Dal / Ulundu – 1tsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku -1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprig
- Cardamom – 3
- Dry Red Chilli – 2
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 small piece
- Wash saamai well and take it in a bowl which fits inside a pressure cooker. Now add in 1 cup of water and cover the bowl with a lid. Now place it in cooker and let it whistle for 4 to 5 times. Now turn off the heat and let the steam escape. Now open the cooker and carefully remove the bowl. Fluff up the rice and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add all seasoning ingredients and toss well.
- Add in Coconut and mix well. Add some salt and sauté till it gets light golden.
- Now add in cooked saamai and mix well..toss till it is heated through.
- Serve hot or put in lunch box.
|Cook saamai rice and set aside to cool down, fluff it with a fork so it stays separated|
|take all seasoning ingredients|
|heat oil in a nonstick pan|
|add all seasoning ingredients|
|saute for a min|
|add cooked saamai|