Noolkol poriyal recipe with step by step pictures. Turnip & Potato Stir Fry taste delicious with rice.
varieties are grown for animal feed.
Keerai Thandu Poriyal
Ingredients for Turnip & Potato Stir Fry
Turnips, like other root vegetables, change flavour slightly when cooked. Turnips are mildly spicy while fresh, but when cooked, they become sweet, nutty, and earthy. This is also true in terms of texture: uncooked turnips have a crisp, starchy flesh.
In most plant food sources, a cooked potato has relatively high quantities of umami compounds, chemicals that produce a pleasant savoury taste.
Mustard Seeds :
If you don't bite into the mustard seeds, they have a subtle fragrant nutty flavour. You can only taste the seeds if you bite into them or grind them into a powder or paste. It has a strong and pungent aroma. Wasabi and horseradish come closest to describing the flavour.
Green Chillies :
Green chillies have a milder heat than red chillies, and because they are sharper and less sweet than red chillies, they will have a greater impact on the flavour of the meal.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you..
Turnip Poriyal Recipe | Turnip & Potato Stir Fry Recipe
- Turnip / Noolkol - 2 peeled and chopped
- Potato - 1 peeled and chopped
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal podi - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green Chillies - 1 chopped finely
- Water as splash
- Coconut -½ cup grated
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add in mustard, cumin and urad dal. Let it sizzle.
- Add in turnip, potato and toss well.Add in green chillies and mix well.
- Add in salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Now add in coconut and water. Cover and pressure cook. Cook it on low heat for 10 mins.
- Now open the cooker and mix well.