Shrewsbury Biscuits Recipe – English Shrewsbury Cake Recipe with step wise pictures.
So easy and buttery shrewsbury biscuits adapted from mary berry cookbook. This cookies is super easy to make and taste great with a cup of coffee or tea.
A Shrewsbury cake or Shrewsbury biscuit is a classic English dessert, named after Shrewsbury, the county town of Shropshire. They are made from dough that contains sugar, flour, egg, butter and lemon zest; dried fruit is also often added. Shrewsbury cakes can be small in size for serving several at a time, or large for serving as a dessert in themselves.
I was looking for a easy butter biscuits recipe for a long time. Finally i made this cookies or biscuits recipe and it was super hit. This biscuits were crispy and tasty.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Unsalted Butter - 100 grams
- Caster Sugar - ½ cup (100 grams)
- Egg - 1
- Lemon Zest - from one lemon grated
- Currants - 50 grams
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1¾ cup (200 grams)
- Caster sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Separate one egg. Set aside.
- Take soft butter in a bowl and add sugar and cream well.
- Now add in one egg yolk and mix well.
- Add lemon zest and mix well.
- Add flour and currant and shape it into a dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut into rounds.
- Arrange it on a baking pan. brush top with a beaten egg white and sprinkle caster sugar on top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 mins.
- Remove and cool completely.
1)Separate one egg.
2)Take butter in a bowl
3)Add in caster sugar
4)Beat till creamy
5)Add in one egg yolk
7)Grate in one lemon zest
8)Add in flour
9)Add in dried currants
11)Shape it into a dough ball
12)Place it on a floured surface
13)Roll it out
14)Use a cookie cutter to cut it out
15)I used a fluted round cutter
17)Once everything is cut out
18)Place it on a parchment lined baking tray
19)Lightly beat the egg white.
19)Use a pastry brush to brush on top of the biscuits
20)Now everything is brushed well
21)Sprinkle caster sugar over it.
22)Time to bake
I am Aarthi, a happy homemaker, mom of two beautiful girls, married to my high school sweet heart. My goal is to teach people that cooking can be way more easier and joyful than they think. Yummy Tummy features recipes all over the world with step wise pictures which surely shows the ease of cooking.