Kerala Style Katti Parippu Recipe with step by step pictures. This is made with Toor Dal, Coconut and Ghee. This can be served with rice.
This is the dal which we make atleast thrice a week. I don't know how i missed it to post here. I have posted a basic southindian dal recipe here, but this one the staple dish in our home. Amma makes it most of the day and this gets it place on several occasions.
This dal is meant to be on the thicker side. And traditionally we mix this with a plateful of cooked hot rice, drizzled with a tsp of desi ghee and crack a fried papadum and mix the whole thing together. Then form them into small dumplings and enjoy it. This is even given to toddlers and kids relish it so much.
Ingredients for Katti Paruppu
- Toor Dal / Tuvaram Paruppu - 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut - ½ cup
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Ghee or Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Kerala Style Katti Parippu Recipe | Kerala Katti Paruppu Recipe
- 1 cup Toor Dal / Tuvaram Paruppu
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi
- Salt to taste
- For Grinding:
- ½ cup Coconut
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam
- For Tempering:
- 1 tsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Kaduku
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- Take dal in a pressure cooker. Cover it with 2 cups of water. Pressure Cook dal for 3 whistle. Switch off the flame and let the steam go all by itself. Open the pressure cooker and mash the dal well.
- Take the grinding ingredients in a blender and make into a puree.
- Pour the dal in a kadai. Add ½ cup of water to dilute it.
- Add in asafoetida, salt, ground masala and turmeric powder. Mix well. Let this come to a boil.
- Simmer for couple of mins.
- Now make tempering by heating oil and crackling in mustard and curry leaves. Pour this over the dal and mix well.
- Serve with rice.
Katti Parippu recipe step by step pictures
|Dal is cooked..