Aval Kara Kozhukattai Recipe with step by step pictures. Healthy and nutritious poha kozhukattai made with vegetables spices.
Looking for quick dinner fix or snacks for kids, then try out this simple quick kozhukattai which you will love. This is so easy to make but just turns out so soft and fluffy which i adore. I added some carrots in this, you could add any vegetables in this too, but chop it finely before adding it.
About Aval Kara Kozhukattai Recipe
Kozhukkattai, also known as kozhukatta, is a popular South Indian dumpling made from rice flour and filled with grated coconut, jaggery, or chakkavaratti. Kozhukattai, while typically sweet, can occasionally be stuffed with a savoury filling. Kerala Christians prepare it on the Saturday before Palm Sunday, hence the name
Kozhukatta Saturday. Modak is a similar dish that is prepared in other parts of India. This is a popular dish for the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
Aval, also known as Pohaa , pauwa, sira, chira, or avalakki, is a type of flattened rice from the Indian subcontinent. Before flattening, rice is parboiled so that it can be consumed with little to no cooking. When added to a liquid, whether hot or cold, these rice flakes swell as they absorb water, milk, or any other liquid. The flakes range in thickness from nearly translucently thin (the more expensive varieties) to nearly four times thinner than a standard rice grain.
Ingredients for Aval Kozhukattai
Aval / Poha :
Poha has a high nutrient value, and nutritionists recommend it as one of the healthiest Indian breakfasts. Poha is a filling dish. It is high in carbohydrates, high in iron, high in fibre, high in antioxidants and essential vitamins, and gluten free.
Onions are considered a basic ingredient or the foundation of Indian cooking and are used to make any gravy, curry, or bhuna dish. The flavour and aroma of onion transforms any ordinary dish into a mouthwatering and delectable one.
Cumin Seeds :
Cumin has a warm, earthy flavour and aroma that is slightly sweet and bitter. To achieve the best flavour, the whole seeds must be toasted.
Urad dal :
When cooked, urad has an earthy flavour and an unusual mucousy texture.
Aval Kozhukattai Recipe | Aval Kara Kozhukattai Recipe | Poha Kozhukattai
- 1 cup Poha (Aval or Flattened Rice) I used red rice poha
- 1 medium Onions chopped finely
- 2 Green Chilli chopped finely
- 1 medium Carrot chopped finely
- 1½ cup Water
- 3 tbsp Coconut grated
- Salt to taste
- For Seasoning:
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 Dry Red Chilli broken into small pieces
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add in poha and start roasting it for few mins till it is toasted and nice aroma comes from it. Remove it to a blender and powder it coarsely.
- Now heat oil in the same kadai. Add all the seasoning ingredients and let it sizzle for a min.
- Add in onions, carrots, green chilli and saute for couple of mins.
- Add in water and salt and bring everything to a good boil.
- Add in the powdered poha and mix well. keep stiring till it starts leaving the sides of pan and comes together as a mass. You can add some coconut at this stage.
- Remove it to plate and allow it to a cool a bit.
- Once it is cooled a bit, shape into balls or ovals.
- Heat a steamer pot or idli cooker. Place the balls on greased idli plates and steam for 8 to 10 mins.
- Once it is done, remove it to a plate. let it cool for couple of mins and serve.
Aval Kozhukattai Recipe Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1) Who discovered poha?
The Kellogg brothers invented the process and made a fortune fro it in the 1890s, but poha making dates back much further. In most Krishna and Sudama stories, the latter brings a few handfuls of poha when he goes to meet his rich and royal friend, and Krishna, far from disdaining, cherishes this memory of their youth.
2) Why is Kozhukattai made on Palm Sunday?
On Palm Sunday, every Christian home in Kerala makes this sweet dumpling to commemorate Jesus' visit to the homes of Lazarus, Martha, and Mary. It is said that love is stuffed inside the snack, which is made of sweetened grated coconut wrapped in a rice flour pancake.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.