After you consume lots of heavy meal, this halwa is best for digestion. Specially when you are breast feeding, it is necessary to have a balanced meal. If you have anything different like chicken or potatoes or the food that form gas, it may cause gas and indigestion in babies. It may result in diarrhea and vomiting in babies.
It is essential to include ginger in your diet when breast feeding. Usually my mom will make ginger chutney in the morning for me. Someday during dinner time she purees ginger and strain the juice and make me drink that. It is one of the most disgusting food which i ever had and sometimes it will make me vomit.
This halwa or legiyam recipe is handed to me by my aunt (perimma). It is the best way to consume ginger for a breast feeding mom. You can make this in bulk and store in fridge for a month. Many of you have been asking me to share post pregnancy recipes so i thought of sharing the food which i am having now.
Hope you will give this try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Ginger Halwa Recipe
- Ginger - 200 grams
- Karupatti / Palm jaggery - 400 grams
- Peel ginger skin and chop it into small pieces.
- Take it in a blender and puree till smooth.
- Take palm sugar in a bowl, add in 1 cup water and heat till it is melted. Strain and set aside.
- Take ginger puree in a kadai, add the strained sugar liquid and keep mixing on medium heat till it thickens.
- Keep on mixing.
- Once it leaves the sides, cool this mix and store it in a air tight container.
- Consume a small spoon of this halwa after you had a heavy meal. It helps in digestion.
2)You can store this in a air tight container in fridge for many months.
3)You can add some gingelly oil during the last stage and mix well.Adding oil will make the halwa nonsticky.
1)Peel ginger and wash it well
2)Chop it into small pieces
3)Take it in a blender
4)Puree it till smooth without adding any water
5)Take palm sugar - jaggery - karupatti in a sauce pan
6)Add in water
7)Boil it and cook till sugar melts
9)This is the strained liquid.
10)Take pureed ginger in a nonstick pan
11)add the strained liquid
13)Now you have to cook this on low heat.
14)Now it will cook this thickened
15)Keep cooking and mixing till thickened
16)Now it gets dark and thick
17)Mix well so it will get thick
19)Now it is done
20)Cool this and store it in a air tight container in fridge. Consume a small spoon of this halwa after you had a heavy meal. It helps in digestion.