Quinoa in Spanish, from Quechua kinwa or kinuwa. is a species of the goosefoot genus, a grain crop grown primarily for its edibleseeds. It is a pseudocereal, similar in some respects to buckwheat, rather than a true cereal, as it is not a member of the true grass family.
I have been using this nutritious grain for a few months now and i love it to the core. To my surprise it turned out to be delicious, i loved it. To my tastebuds it almost tasted like wheat rava. I made this fried rice and loved it.Planning to try few more recipes as well.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Quinoa - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - a pinch
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice - from 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water or as per package directions. Fluff it and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan. Add all seasoning ingredients and let it sizzle.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Add cooked quinoa and mix well.
- Stir fry for few mins.,
1)Cook quinao as per package directions. Or check this link for recipe
2) Fluff up the quinoa and set aside.
3)Heat oil in a nonstick pan
4)Add mustard and urad dal
5)let them sizzle
6)Add in little cumin seeds and black pepper
7)Add in some asafoetida
8)Add in dry red chillies
9)Add in curry leaves
10)Add a dash of turmeric powder
12)Add lemon juice
14)Add salt to taste
16)Add in quinoa
18)Stir fry for few mins