Varutharacha Meen Kuzhambu Recipe with step by step pictures. Roasted spices and coconut made into a paste and made into a delicious fish curry.
When it comes to making curries or any kulambu, I love making it from scratch. I mean making it from roasting whole spices till it turn nutty and dark and grinding it to form the base of the gravy. This gives you the maximum flavour and this what makes the curry taste like a proper curry. Of course there are certain curries that can be made in minutes..In fact I have a separate section called Curry in a Hurry, You can check that. This curry is not that instant kind..It needs some effort but once the masala is done, cooking can be done in 30 mins.
I am not so fond of fish, I have a few fish recipes in my blog, you can check all of them here.I made this a month back and I served it with a simple fish fry.Hope you will like this a lot and let me know what you think.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Varutharacha Meen Kuzhambu Recipe
- Fish – 300 gms cubed any fish of your choice
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil- 2 tblspn
- Shallots /Sambar Onion – 3 finely chopped
- For Roasting and Grinding:
- Coconut – 1 cup
- Coriander Seeds / Kothamalli – 1 tblspn
- Dry Red Chilli – 4 or to taste
- Shallots / Sambar Onion– 5
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Tamarind – 1 small Piece / 2 tbsp if using paste
- Curry leaves – 2 spring
- In a pan add all ingredients except tamarind and fry till it turns dark brown. Now add tamarind to the mixture and take it in a blender and make into a smooth paste.
- Transfer this to a kadai along with some water. Add salt to taste and bring it to boil. Cover and simmer till oil separates.
- Now add in the fish pieces and mix well.Cover and simmer again for 8-10 mins.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add chopped shallots and fry for 3 mins.
- Pour this over the fish curry and mix well.
- Serve with rice and fish fry.
Meen Kulambu Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients|
|Take your favourite fish|
|add all roasting ingredients in a pan..|
|fry till it turns dark golden|
|transfer to a blender|
|and grind again|
|transfer to a kadai|
|bring it to a boil|
|cover and simmer till oil separates|
|now add fish|
|and let it cook|
|cover and cook|
|till oil separates again|
|heat coconut oil|
|add shallots and fry till golden|
|pour this over the curry|
|Mix and serve|
|Taste great with rice|