Varutharacha Chicken Curry Recipe with step wise pictures.
Delicious spicy chicken curry made using roasted spice masala and coconut masala which is so yummy with rice.
This chicken curry is made using roasted whole spices masala which taste super delicious. The freshly roasted spices gives so much flavour to the chicken curry and makes it super yummy.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Coconut Oil - ¼ cup
- Fennel seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 5
- Cloves / Krambu - 5
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 stick
- Brinji Ilai / Pandan Leaf - 1
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Shallots - 30 peeled and chopped finely
- Tomato - 4 to 5 chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 2 slit
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tblsp
- Potato - 1 peeled and cubed
- Salt to taste
- Tomato - 1 chopped for adding last
- Curry Leaves a handful for adding last
- Dry Red Chilli - 10 to 12
- Coriander Leaves - 4 tblsp
- Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
- Black Pepper - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves a handful
- Coconut - 1 cup grated
- Roasted Gram Dal / Pori Kadalai - 1 tblsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tblsp
- Heat a pan, add whole spices to toast. Cook till golden. Take it in a blender and puree till smooth. Set aside.
- Take coconut, gram dal, fennel and grind to a smooth paste.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add in whole spices, onions and cook till golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell leaves.
- Add in tomatoes and curry leaves and mix well.
- Add in chicken and cook till 5 to 6 mins.
- Add in roasted coconut masala and water. Mix well.
- Add this in pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistle.
- Take it off the heat and open the cooker.
- Add in potatoes and cook till it is done.
- Add in coconut masala and simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Take the curry off the heat and add in tomato and curry leaves.
1)Take whole spices in a dry pan.
2)Roast on low heat till golden
3)Now cool this down.
4)Take it in a blender
5)Puree till smooth.Set aside.
6)Now take coconut, fennel seeds and roasted gram dal in a blender
7)Puree till smooth and set aside.
8)Heat oil in a pan, add whole spices
9)Add in finely chopped shallots
10)Saute till golden
11)Add in ginger garlic paste
12)Saute till raw smell leaves
13)Add in tomatoes and green chillies
14)Cook till tomatoes get mushy
16)Saute for 5 to 6 mins
17)Add roasted spices paste
18)Add in salt
19)Add in some water
20)Add the whole thing to a pressure cooker and cook till done.
21)Now add in potatoes
22)Add in coconut masala. Simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
23)Turn off the heat. Add in tomatoes and curry leaves
I am Aarthi, a happy homemaker, mom of two beautiful girls, married to my high school sweet heart. My goal is to teach people that cooking can be way more easier and joyful than they think. Yummy Tummy features recipes all over the world with step wise pictures which surely shows the ease of cooking.