Last Updated on November 20, 2020
that. When I got a glance of this recipe in one my friend's blog, I know I should definitely try it immediately. Believe it or not I made it the next day itself. The meal came together in less than 30 mins. I served it with papad and pickle.
Give it a try and let me know what you think..
Andhra Puliyogare ( Pulihora/Puliyodharai) / Andhra Tamarind Rice
- Rice - 1 cup
- Split Channa
- Dal / Kadala Paruppu - 4 tblspn
- Tamarind Pulp - 4 tblspn or to taste
- Oil - 4 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Raw Whole Peanuts - 4 tblspn
- Split Channa Dal / Kadala Paruppu - 1 tblspn
- Urad dal / Ulundu paruppu - 1 tblspn
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 5 to 6
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Turmeric powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice and dal together and take them in a pressure cooker. Pour 2 ½ to 3 cups of water and
- pressure cook them for 3 whistle. Switch off the flame. Let the pressure go all by itself, open the pressure cooker and fluff it with a fork.
- Now lets makes the tamarind paste. Take tamarind pulp and add half cup of water and bring it to a boil. Cook this till the pulp gets cooked and thick and raw smell gets away. If you are using whole tamarind fruit, first soak that in warm water for 15 mins, squeeze to get the pulp out, strain it and continue with the process.
- Pour this tamarind pulp over the rice and mix well. Now make the seasoning. Heat oil in a kadai. Add all the ingredients given the seasoning list in the given order and fry them on low heat for 2-3 mins till everything is toasted.
- Pour this seasoning over the rice and mix well.
- Serve hot with papad and pickle.
|Wash Rice & Channa Dal Together|
|Add it to pressure cooker along with water|
|and let them cook|
|Extract tamarind pulp from the fruit|
|Boil it so that it gets cooked|
|It should be thick and glossy|
|add that to the cooked rice|
|and mix well|
|Now lets make seasoning|
|add channa dal and mustard|
|cumin and urad dal|
|add in chillies and cook till they are toasted.|
|now add in salt and turmeric|
|pour that in the rice|
|and mix well|