Curd rice Recipe with Step by Step Pictures. Thayir Sadam or yogurt rice is rice mixed with plain yogurt and seasoned. In this post there are variety of rice variations you could make. It is also known as Perugu Annam or Daddojanam. Curd rice makes a perfect lunch option too.
Theyir Sadam or Curd rice is one of my favourite, it has natural cooling properties in this which is perfect for hot summer days. This recipe is one step further because it has as much cucumber and carrots like rice. So it is much more cooling and more tasty.
About Curd Rice
Curd Rice is a comforting rice dish which you can make in just few minutes. It is simple satisfying and very tasty too. It can be had on hot summer days and on days when you don't feel like having anything.
Highly nutritious and yogurt is rich in probiotics which is actually good for your guts. This is good for digestion and feels light on tummy.
Cooking rice is a little tricky when making curd rice. The rice have to be very soft and mushy. So i follow few steps when cooking rice. I have two variation of curd rice here. A fruity curd rice and a plain simple curd rice. Perfect side dish for this curd rice is pickles, but you can even have it with any poriyal.
What is Curd Rice
Homemade Yogurt or Curd is required to make perfect curd rice.
Curd rice is my favorite food. If I don’t like eating anything spicy or if I didn't find that days lunch appetizing. Then the first thing which I do is take some rice add some curd, may be sprinkle with some salt and have it..I love this a lot and some how this was my comfort food. Curd rice taste best with mango pickle, but my favorite is with garlic and tomato pickle..Wow I love that combo a lot..You can have curd rice with pakoda or bhajji as well. It taste great. The secret of making a perfect curd rice is you should cook the rice till it completely mushy, the one thing which you don't want to do while eating curd rice is to chew. Hence it is comforting. This recipe is great for a hot summer day, it cools you instantly.
Ingredients for Curd Rice Recipe
- Rice - 1 cup
- Homemade Curd / Yogurt - 1 cup
- Milk - 2 cup or adjust
- Cucumber - 1 cup grated
- Carrot - 1 cup grated
- Green Chilli - 2 chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves a handful finely chopped
Seasoning Ingredients for Curd Rice Recipe
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger - 1 tblspn finely chopped
Steps for Making Curd Rice | Thayir Sadam
Take rice in a pressure cooker, add in 4 cups of water, cook it for 5 whistle. Simmer for 5 mins and turn off the stove, let the pressure go all by itself. Open the cooker and mash it up with a spoon. Let the rice get to room temp.
Now add in salt, curd and milk to the rice and mix well. Add in cucumber, carrot and green chilli and mix well.
Now make tempering by heating oil and crackling all the spices and ginger. Let them get golden. Pour this over the rice and mix well. Add in coriander leaves and mix well. Put it in the fridge for 1 hour. Serve with pickle.
Version 1: Cucumber Curd Rice
|Take all your ingredients|
Version 2: Thayir Sadam Recipe
Curd Rice Recipe | Thayir Sadam Recipe | Daddojanam Recipe
- Take rice in a pressure cooker and add water to it. Cook it for 4 to 5 whistle. Simmer for 10 mins. Switch off the heat and let the pressure go all by itself. Open and mash it up.
- Now add salt to it and mix well.Add in yogurt and milk and mix well.
- Now make tempering. Heat oil in a frying pan heat it up. Add in mustard ,urad dal and asafoetida. Fry it for 30 sec.
- Add in ginger, green chilli and curry leaves. Saute for 30 seconds or so.
- Pour this over the rice and mix well. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with pickle.
Thayir Sadam Recipe Step by Step Pictures
How to cook rice for curd rice
- Take 1 cup rice in a pressure cooker, wash it well.
- Add in 4 to 5 cups of water. Cover the pressure cooker.
- Cook for 4 to 5 whistle.
- Turn off the heat and let the pressure release by itself.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash the rice really well.
|Wash rice really well|
|mix well and keep adding more milk..as the rice cools the rice will get thick, so add milk accordingly|
Making of Thayir Sadam Recipe
Version 3: Dadaojam|Curd Rice with Fruits
Ingredients for Dadojanam
- Rice - 1 cup ( Cooked with 4 cups of water)
- Carrot - 1 grated
- Seedless Grapes - 1 cup
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro - 4 tblspn chopped
- Milk - 1 ½ cup
- Thick Unsour Curd / Yoghurt- ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 1 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal / Ulundu - 1 tblspn
- Asafoetida / Hing / kaya podi - ¼ tsp
- Ginger - 1 tblspn Minced
- Green Chilli - 2 finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
How to Make Dadojanam
- Start by making the seasoning. Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds , urad dal and let the seeds pop up.
- Now add asafoetida, ginger, green chilli and curry leaves. Fry for 1 min.Switch off the flame and leave aside
- Take cooked rice in a bowl. Add milk, curd, salt and mix well. Add carrots, grapes and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now pour in the seasoning and mix well. Serve with any pickle.
|Now take your cooked rice|
|carrot and cilantro|
|pour the seasoning in|
|and mix well|
Tips & Tricks
Once you have cooked the rice. cool it completely before proceeding. You should never add curd to hot rice.
The key to make a tasty and kids friendly curd rice or yogurt rice is to add less yogurt and more milk which makes it more tasty.
If you are packing it for lunch. Then add very little yogurt to rice along with milk. Because as the rice sits for few hours it gets sour.
- Don't add sour curd in this because it make everything so sour.
- If you are taking this for lunch, add more milk so that it wont get so sour while eating. (This curd rice will get sour as it stand for hours)
- If the curd rice gets thick while eating, you can add more milk.
- You could add any fruits if you like and even skip the fruits.
Serving Curd Rice
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.