Coffee caviar has been popping on instagram and tik tok as a topping largely for desserts. Lets make this trending recipe but without the fancy equipment and ingredients. This molecular gastronomy recipe can be easily made using agar agar. An easy fun project to attempt with kids.
Caviar | Coffee caviar is a fun little kitchen science experiment which you can try with kids. It will be a fun project and you will be getting a delicious desert topping at the end of the day.
What is coffee caviar?
Caviar is nothing but transforming black coffee into small sphere like shape. It uses simple ingredients like cold oil and agar agar to make this.
Usually caviar is made using sodium alginate and calcium chloride. But this one is made using agar agar and cold oil.
How to Make Caviar using Fruit Juice by Molecular Gastronomy
250g Fruit juice, 2g Sodium alginate, 500g Water, 2.5g Calcium chloride
- Mix alginate with fruit juice.
- Dissolve calcium chloride in water.
- Drop droplets juice solution into calcium chloride water.
- Use strainer to remove droplets from calcium chloride bath after 1-2 minutes into a separate cold water bath.
Making this was so much fun and not difficult at all! And it’s not all for looks, it’s tasty too! I made this caviar to serve as an component with my mocha heaven desert. I really loved the balance the caviar brought to the entire dessert.
The caviar itself was not that sweet at all. When you have a spoon it added a burst of coffee flavor.
For Better Success of Coffee Caviar
- Use a tall glass of oil to pour the caviar mixture.
- Use very cold oil to make this.
- Don't use oil that can harden in fridge like coconut oil.
- Use oil that doesn't have much flavor on its own.
- Instead of coffee you can use honey, fruit juice or vegetable juices.
More Recipes for you
📖 Recipe Card
Coffee Caviar Recipe
- dropper bottle
- 1 cup black coffee
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup refined oil
- Take oil in a cup and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours. You can place the oil in fridge overnight.
- Take black coffee in a sauce pan. Add in agar agar powder, sugar in it and whisk well.
- Heat this and keep mixing so it comes to a light simmer.
- Once the agar agar is mixed completely. Take it off the heat.
- Pour this into the dropper bottle.
- Remove the oil from the freezer and use the dropper bottle to drop the coffee mix into the cold oil drop by drop.
- The caviar will form and it will harden and settle at the bottom of the cup.
- Once it is done, strain the mixture.
- Your coffee caviar is done.
- Store at room temp for few hours. You can keep in fridge until serving.
- Don't let the coffee mixture come to a rolling boil once agar agar is added, it may get stringy.
- Use the syrup immediately. if you let it cool, then it may harden.
- You can reheat it gently if the mixture harden.
- Instead of sugar you can use any sweetner.
- You can use dropper bottle, sauce bottles, syringe to dispense the caviar
- This can be stored in fridge up to a week.
- Coffee caviar can be used as desert toppings.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Step by Step Pictures
1)You will be needing agar agar powder.
2)Take a cup of oil and place it in the fridge for a day. You could place the oil in freezer for 1 hour if you don't have much time. I use refined oil.
3)Take 1 cup of brewed black coffee.
4)Add sugar or any sweetner to taste
5)Add in agar agar powder.
6)whisk it really well to let agar agar gets melted.
7)Once it is melted and heated through, take it off the heat. don't let it boil vigoursly.
8)Pour the mixture into a dropper bottle. I used my small sauce bottle.
9)Now take the oil from freezer. Slowly drop the mixture into the cold oil.
10)The oil would form small caviar shape. it will harden as it sinks to the bottom.
11)How cute they look.
12)strain the mixture.
13)Coffee caviar is done.
14)These caviar can be stored in room temp for few hours. If you are planning to store longer, then store in fridge.
15)These make delicious topping for deserts.