"Castella cake is a delicious Japanese sponge cake made with bread flour, sugar, honey, and eggs. The difference between Japanese sponge cake and the regular western sponge cake is Japanese Castella is more delicate and bouncy in texture."
Castella cake is a delicious soft and spongy cake which is super bouncy. The cake is super moist and fluffy.
Traditionally, Japanese Castella cake is baked slowly in a wooden frame to create a soft smooth texture for the sponge because a metal baking pan would transfer the heat too fast and it would become too dry. But wooden frame is little hard to find, so i used a square pan and lined it with parchment paper.
This particular recipe is a small batch, since it was my first attempt i used just 2 eggs to make this. But next time i will try making a bigger batch and share different flavour of this cake too.
FEW FREQUENTLTY ASKED QUESTIONS
1)Why My Castella Cake Collapsed?
Under whisked meringue is unstable and will cause the cake to collapse. On the contrary, over whisked meringue will make the cake dense.
2) Is Castella Cake same as Sponge Cake?
Castella cake is a japanese sponge cake which is usually baked in a water bath.
MORE JAPANESE RECIPES
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Castella Cake Recipe
- ⅓ cup All Purpose Flour 40 grams
- ⅛ cup Unsalted butter 30 ml
- ⅛ cup Milk 30 ml
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Large Egg
- 3 tbsp Sugar 45 grams
- Preheat oven to 150 degree C. Line a 18 cm square cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sieve flour in a bowl.
- Take butter, milk in a sauce pan and simmer till it gets warm.
- Add this butter mixture into the flour and mix well. Add in egg yolk, vanilla and mix well till creamy. Set aside.
- Take egg white in a bowl, beat it using a electric beater till it gets frothy.
- Slowly add sugar and keep whipping till fluffy and light.
- Now add in the egg yolk mixture and fold gently.
- Spoon this into the baking pan.
- Place this baking pan on a larger baking pan. Pour hot boiling water and bake for 30 to 35 mins.
- Remove it and cool for 2 mins.
- Now un mould the pan, unwrap the parchment paper.
- Slice and serve.
- Whip the egg whites till it is stiff and fluffy. Don't over whip the egg whites else it may get dry.
- Combine egg white and egg yolk mixture gently else it may deflate.
- Bake in a water bath for slow and steady baking.
- Invert the cake immediately so it retains it shape and doesn't carry on cooking.
STORAGEStore the cake wrapped in a parchment paper for 2 days before slicing. Sliced cake can be served for a week.
1)Take flour in a sieve.
2)Sieve it well.
4)Take milk in a sauce pan.
5)Add in melted butter. and warm it up.
6)Add this into the flour
7)Mix well till creamy.
8)Add in egg yolk.
9)Mix well till creamy.
10)Add in vanilla extract
12)Take egg white in a bowl
13)Beat till fluffy and light.
14)Add in sugar
14)Beat till stiff.
15)Add in egg yolk mix
18)Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
19)Spoon the batter into the pan
20)Place it over bigger pan.
21)Add in hot water
22)Bake till done
23)Now it is baked.
25)Slice and serve
Thank you for sharing this delightful recipe. I can hardly wait to try it.
Hi ..few recipes of urs call for cut and fold mix...and few recipes u casually mix with beater ....so can u tell which type needs cut and fold..and when can we go for a casual mix...thku