"Lamb Karahi Recipe with Step by Step Pictures. Karahi Gosht or Mutton Karahi is a pakisthani (lahori) dish traditionally made in a wok with a thick rich onion and tomato paste. "
Tender pieces of meat slow cooked in a kadai or karahi in spices and tomatoes. Usually this is cooked in a kadai and cooked for hours. but cooking it in a pressure cooker to make this in half the time.
Check out my other lamb recipes
Usually we make lamb curries with lots of spices, coconut paste or cashew paste. We used to add lots of onions and cook till it is caramlized. But this curry is so minimal in the spices and ingredients. Slow cooking it for hours makes it so tasty.
Ingredients in Lamb Karahi
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Spice powders like chillies, cumin, turmeric
- Garam Masala powder
- Green chillies
How to Make Lamb Karahi Gosht?
- Sear the lamb in oil till well coloured. You may add some salt and turmeric powder.Now add in ginger garlic paste and cook for few more minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and green chillies and pressure cook till meat is tender.
- Now remove the peels from the tomatoes and mash the tomatoes into the sauce.
- Add in spice powders and cook for few more minutes.
- Add in yogurt and mix well. Cook for further 15 mins or so till the curry is done.
- Garnish and serve.
Top Tips for Great Tasting Lamb Curry
- Take your time to sear the lamb and keep roasting them in oil after each ingredient is added to extract its maximum flavour.
- Use ripe tomatoes, which adds so much flavour into the curry.
- You can add some onions if you want too.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Delicious Lamb Karahi Gosht
- Pressure cooker
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add in lamb and sear for 10 mins in the oil till lamb is coloured.
- Add in salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 mins or so.
- Add in tomatoes and green chillies. mix well.
- Add in 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistle.
- Once pressure is released. Open the cooker, remove the peels from the tomatoes. Mash it into the curry.
- add in spice powders and cook for 5 to 10 mins more.
- Add in yogurt and cook till oil separates.
- Add in coriander leaves and serve
Lamb Karahi Step by Step Pictures
1)Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
2)Add in mutton
3)Cook the mutton in oil for 10 mins or so till it is well seared on all sides.
4)Add in salt and turmeric powder.
5)Cook for few more minutes.
6)Add in ginger garlic paste
8)Cook for another 5 mins.
9)Add in halved tomatoes and green chillies.
11)Add in water
12)Cover and cook till mutton is cooked completely.
13)Now the lamb is cooked.
14)Gently remove the tomato skin and discard it.
15)Mash the tomatoes and mix into the curry.
17)Add in spice powders.
18)cook the spices for further 10 mins or so.
19)Now add in the yogurt.
20)Cook on low to medium heat for another 10 to 15 mins.