Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe with step by step pictures. Easy sesame seed kozhukattai made with sesame, coconut jaggery filling which is then steamed.
Normally we will make modak with coconut jaggery filling or chana dal jaggery filling. But i found this interesting recipe online. I was inspired by it and it looked easy to give a try. I tried it today and it turned out good. It is like ellu urundai inside kozhukattai. Tasted so yummy..Meanwhile check out my other ganesh chaturthi recipes too.
About Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe
Kozhukkattai, also known as kozhukatta, is a popular South Indian dumpling made from rice flour and filled with grated coconut, jaggery, or chakkavaratti. Kozhukattai, while typically sweet, can occasionally be stuffed with a savoury filling. Kerala Christians prepare it on the Saturday before Palm Sunday, hence the name Kozhukatta Saturday. Modak is a similar dish that is prepared in other parts of India. This is a popular dish for the Ganesh Chaturthi festival.
Ellu means sesame seeds in Tamil, and a sweet filling made of sesame seeds and jaggery is used in the modak/kozhukattai. Sesame seeds can be used in a variety of ways. They can, for example, sprinkle the seeds on top of salads, stir-fries, or soups.
Toasting sesame seeds makes them crunchier and adds flavour.
Ingredients for Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe
Sesame Seeds / Ellu:
Sesame seeds can be consumed raw or baked or toasted to enhance their natural nutty flavour. They're a popular addition to bagels, burger buns, salads, and breadsticks. They can also be used to dress salads. Tahini, a key component of hummus, is made from ground sesame seeds.
Jaggery / Sarkarai / Vellam :
Depending on its composition, jaggery can taste like fresh cane juice, maple syrup, caramel, or molasses. The unrefined natural sweetener is available in a variety of colours, including light amber, golden brown, and dark brown. Jaggery is known by many different names, including gur in Urdu, gud in Hindi, and vellam in Tamil.
Cardamom Powder :
Cardamom Powder is an all-natural spice that can be used to sweeten dishes as well as flavour coffee and tea. It is also used in traditional Indian and Middle Eastern cooking, as well as Scandinavian baking.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe | Sesame Kozhukattai Recipe
- For Dough:
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- ¼ cup Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1¾ cup Water
- For Filling:
- ½ cup Sesame Seeds I used a mix of black & white
- ½ cup Jaggery grated
- ½ cup Fresh Coconut grated
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Take water in a sauce pan and heat it till it boils. Once it reaches a good boil, take it off the heat and add in salt and oil. Add in rice flour and make it into a dough. Cover it and let it rest till it gets warm.
- While the dough is cooling, take sesame seeds in a kadai and roast it till it pops.
- Now add in jaggery and coconut and mix well on medium heat till it gets thick. Add in cardamom powder and mix well. Once it gets thick, remove it to a bowl and let it cool.
- Now take the dough in a bowl and Knead it well. Divide into equal portions.
- Take a ball and spread it thinly, place a spoonful of filling in the center and cover it carefully and pinch the top to form a modak shape.
- Place this in a steamer plate and steam for 8 to 10 mins. Remove it carefully and let it cool.
- Now remove the modak and serve.
How to Make Kozhukattai Maavu
|Take your ingredients for dough