Orappam Recipe with Step by Step pictures.
A delicious kerala delicacy which is easy to make and taste absolutely delicious. Orappam is a rice flour halwa kind of sweet which has coconut milk and coconut oil in them. Then it is baked till it has a crusty top and bottom in them. Traditionally it is placed in a large plate and the whole thing is placed over a charcoal and cooked till it gets crusty.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Thin Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Thick Coconut Milk - 1.5 cup
- Jaggery - 1 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Coconut Oil or Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Cashew - 2 tblsp
- Kishmish - 2 tblsp
- Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
- Fennel Seed Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Take jaggery and water in a sauce pan. Boil till it comes to a boil. Strain this.
- Take rice flour, jaggery syrup, thin coconut milk in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in egg, thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Take 2 tblsp oil or ghee in a nonstick kadai.
- Add in cashew, kishmish and fry till golden. Drain and set aside.
- In the remaining oil add the mix and cook till it thickens.
- Add in little ghee or oil at a time. Cook till oil separates.
- Add in fried cashews, kishmish. spice powders and mix well.
- Pour it into greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake this in a 170 degree c oven and bake for 30 to 35 mins.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Slice and serve.
1)Take rice flour in a bowl
2)Add in thin coconut milk (second extract)
3)Add in jaggery syrup
5)Add in egg
6)Add in thick coconut milk (First extract)
8)Heat ghee or coconut oil in a kadai
9)Add in cashews and kishmish
10)Fry till golden
11)Remove it to a bowl. Now in the remaining ghee or coconut oil
12)Add in rice flour mix
13)Stir and cook till it get thick.
14)Add ghee or coconut oil little by little
15)Cook till oil separates
16)Add in cashew and kishmish
17)Add in dry ginger powder, cardamom powder and fennel seed powder
19)Line a pan with parchment
20)Spread with coconut oil
21)Spread with the mix
23)Bake for 30 mins
31)Cool it and slice