Butter Chicken Recipe with Step by Step Pictures. I have shared three version of butter chicken masala in this recipe post. Authentic chicken makhani recipe made with tandoori chicken and tomato sauce is shared in this recipe post as well. Punjabi butter chicken is made with chicken, tomatoes and spices. The dish is finished with cream at the end which gives a creamy texture. Butter chicken goes well with garlic naan.
Popular Butter Chicken, Butter Paneer , Hearing the word makes my mouth water. Because i love it so much. The sweet and tangy gravy can pair with anything and i love all recipes that have the base with this gravy. I have a recipe for butter chicken before. It is a easy way of making this recipe, but this recipe taste so much better than that. It taste similar to the one which we get in restaurants.
If you are in the mood for more butter recipes..Here you go, check out my Easy Butter Chicken, My Butter Paneer Recipe. If you need a Low Fat Butter Paneer Recipe check that too. I have a Butter paneer recipe which is similar to restaurant style also. And this recipe is not similar to butter chicken but i have an awesome butter chicken roast.
About Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani in India, is a type of curry made with chicken and a spiced tomato and butter (makhan) sauce. Its sauce is well-known for its creamy texture. It is similar to chicken tikka masala in that it contains tomato paste.
Kundan Lal Jaggi and Kundan Lal Gujral, founders of the Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India, created the curry in the 1950s. The curry was created by chance by combining leftover tandoori chicken in a buttery tomato gravy (makhan). Murgh makhanii (Tandoori chicken cooked in butter and tomato sauce) was published in 1974.
The English phrase butter chicken curry first appeared in print in 1975, as a house specialty at Gaylord Indian restaurant in Manhattan. It can be found as a filling in pizza, poutine, wraps, roti, or rolls in Toronto and the Caribbean, and as a pie filling in Australia and New Zealand. Curry is popular in India and many other countries.
What is Butter Chicken
Chicken is marinated for several hours in a mixture of lemon juice, dahi (yogurt) Kashmiri red chilli, salt, garam masala and ginger garlic paste. This chicken makhani recipe is amazing.
The chicken is usually cooked in a tandoor (traditional clay oven), but may be grilled, roasted, or pan-fried. It is served in a mild curry sauce that includes butter. The sauce is a tomato- and onion-based sauce that is simmered until smooth and much of the water has evaporated. There are many variations on the composition and spicing of the sauce, which is sieved so that it is finally velvety smooth. Spices may include cardamom, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, garam masala and fenugreek. Cream may be used in the sauce or as a garnish. Cashew paste may be used as a thickener and is finally garnished with coriander.
The dish was developed in 1947 by founders of Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi, India. The dish was made "by chance" by mixing the leftover chicken in a tomato gravy, rich in butter and cream. In 1974, a recipe was published for "Murgh Makhani" (Tandoori chicken cooked in butter and tomato sauce)".
In 1975, the English phrase "butter chicken" first appeared in print, as a specialty of the house at Gaylord Indian restaurant in Manhattan. Australia and New Zealand, it is also eaten as a pie filling. The dish is common in India and many other countries.
Ingredients for Butter Chicken Masala Recipe
One theory is that chicken has a bland flavour when compared to other meats because fat contributes more flavour than muscle (especially in the case of a lean cut like a skinless chicken breast), making it a generic choice for comparison.
Kashmiri Chilli Powder :
Kashmiri chiles are tall, thin, wrinkled red chiles that produce a vibrant red powder valued for its colour and mild spiciness. The chile has a slightly smokey flavour. This powder is used in Indian cooking to add colour to dishes that don't require a lot of heat.
Butter has its own distinct flavour. Because butter is soft, creamy, and rich with just a hint of sweetness, the term buttery is frequently used to describe other foods.
Ingredients for Punjabi Butter Chicken Recipe
- Oil - 2 tblspn
- Chicken - ½ kg
- Curd / Yogurt - ½ cup
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Butter - 3 tblspn
- Oil - 2 tblspn
- Cumin Seeds / Shahi Jeera - 1tsp
- Onions - 1 large chopped finely
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
- Red Food Colouring - a pinch
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1.5 tsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Tomato - 2 large pureed
- Cream - ¼ cup ( I mixed up ¼ cup milk with 2 tsp cornflour)
- Kasuri methi leaves - 1 tblspn
- Water as needed
Punjabi Butter Chicken Recipe Steps
Take chicken and all the marination ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Leave it to marinate for 15 to 30 mins.
Heat 2 tblspn oil in a frying pan and place the marinated chicken in a single layer and cook them on high heat for 5 mins or till the chicken is charred. Flip them over and cook again till the chicken is charred. Switch off the flame and set it aside.
Now in a kadai. Add oil and butter and let them heat up. Add in jeera and let them sizzle. In goes chopped onion and saute them for 5 mins or till the onion is well browned. In goes ginger garlic paste and saute for a min. Add in red food colouring, chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt and sugar and mix well and cook for 30 sec. Add in tomato puree and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 mins to 8 mins till oil separates from it. Now add in required amount of water and bring that to a boil. I used 2 cups of water.
Add in grilled chicken pieces and mix well. Simmer the flame and cover the kadai. Cook on a low heat for 15 to 20 mins till the chicken is tender and juicy.
Once the chicken is cooked add in the ¼ cup of cream. I used the cheat version of cream, like mixing ¼ cup of milk with 2 tsp corn flour. Simmer it for a min.
Now crush in the kasuri methi leaves into the gravy and mix well. Simmer again for couple of mins. Switch off the flame and add coriander leaves. Serve with naan or pulav.
Version 1 : Punjabi Butter Chicken Recipe
|Take all your ingredients|
Version 2: Restaurant Style Butter Chicken Recipe
This version of chicken makhani is made with tandoori chicken which is simmered in a creamy tomato sauce.
Lets makes some chicken makhani. I can see your mouth water when you say butter chicken. It is many of us favorite dish plus i love it to the core. I have so many version of butter chicken recipe in this blog so far and this is the authentic way to make the restaurant style chicken. You can check out my butter chicken recipe, punjabi butter chicken recipe as well.
Butter Chicken Recipe | Butter Chicken Masala Recipe | Chicken Makhani Recipe
For Tandoori Chicken:
For Butter Chicken Gravy:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 large Onion sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 5 large Tomatoes pureed
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi Leaves / Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- Coriander Leaves a handful chopped finely
- Start by marinating chicken in the masala for 30 mins.Preheat oven to 250 Degree C. Now arrange chicken in a baking tray and grill for 10 mins. Remove and set aside. Tandoori chicken done
- Now heat oil and butter in a pan, add in cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add in onions and cook till golden. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
- Add in chilli powder, garam masala powder,salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Pour in tomato puree and cook till oil separates.
- Add in water and the tandoori chicken. Cook on a low heat for 20 to 25 mins till the chicken is cooked and all juicy.
- Now add in green chillies, kasuri methi leaves and cream. Mix well and simmer for a min.
- Add in coriander leaves and mix well.
Restaurant Style Butter Chicken Step by Step
|Take some juicy red tomatoes|
How to Make Tandoori Chicken for Butter Chicken
How to Make Chicken Makhani Sauce
Version 3: Butter Chicken without Onions
Chicken makhani recipe is made with tomato and without onions. This is finished with butter, cream.
Ingredients for Butter Chicken without Onions
- Chicken - ½ kg Boneless
- Tomato Puree - 2 cup
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tblspn
- Green chilli- 2 finely chopped
- Red chilli powder-2 tsp
- Garam Masala-1 tsp
- Kasuri methi - 2 tsp
- Fresh cream- ½ cup
- Cornstarch - 1 tblspn
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Butter- 3 tblspn
- Salt-to taste
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Coriander leaves-for garnishing
How to Make Butter Chicken without Onions
- Marinate the cut chicken pieces in corn starch,1 tsp chilli powder and some salt.
- In a Kadai add oil and put in the chicken pieces and just sear the chicken pieces till it is no longer pink.Remove it and set aside.
- Now melt some butter in the same kadai and add chilli and ginger garlic paste.
- Pour in the tomato puree and mix well,Put in the chilli powder and cook untill oil separates from it.
- Add salt and sugar to taste,Add in the chicken pieces with some water and cover and cook till the chicken is completely done.
- Now just crush in the Kasuri methi leaves in and mix.
- Add in the fresh cream and mix well and switch off the flame.
- Add in the rest of the Butter and Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Tips & Tricks for Butter Chicken
- You can use leftover tandoori chicken to make butter chicken.
- Butter chicken has be finished with lots of butter. It adds flavour.
- Kasuri methi leaves or Fenugreek leaves is important for the unique aroma.
- You can use boneless chicken in the making of butter chicken
- Adding fresh cream cut down the sourness of the tomatoes and brings a silky ness to this dish, if you can't find fresh cream you can use some thick milk.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Butter chicken vs chicken tikka masala which is better?
Butter chicken is mildly spiced and tikka masala is more pungent in taste with heavy spices and chicken tikka. Both curries has cream added in the end.
What is butter chicken sauce made of?
Butter chicken sauce is made with butter, tomatoes, onions, spice powders, cream, fenugreek leaves and coriander leaves.
What goes best with butter chicken?
Butter chicken taste amazing with chapati, naan or pulao.
What is special about butter chicken?
Butter chicken has tandoori chicken added and is finished with tons of butter and the sauce is rich and creamy.
What to Serve with Butter Chicken
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.