Chicken and leek pie with step by step pictures. Delicious pie made with sweet leek and chicken stuffed inside a puff pastry sheet and baked.
My long time mission came to an end, i successfully made puffs. Look at the pictures it looks promising right. I have made puff pastry before but it was a complete failure and a butter was leaking all the place and it was a complete mess. From that day onwards i stayed away from puff pastry for a while. But after watching so many videos and referring so many website, i got a little confident. But when many of my viewers requested me to post this, i got the complete confidence and got into action. I made a traditional puff pastry before and also made a pastry which takes just 15 mins to make..
About this Recipe
A pie is a baked dish with a pastry dough casing that holds a filling of various sweet or savoury ingredients. Leeks, a member of the onion family, are native to the eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East, with Indonesia, Turkey, France, the Republic of Korea, and Belgium producing the most.
Leeks resemble scallions (or green onions), but they are much larger. The leek pie is delicious as an appetiser or as a main course with a salad. Pies as we know them today were invented by the Ancient Egyptians. Later, closer to the 5th century BC, the Ancient Greeks were thought to have invented pie pastry, as it is mentioned in Aristophanes, plays, and it was possible to work as a
pastry chef in this era, a separate trade to a baker.
15 mins puff pastry sheets
I have made veg puffs, a healthy version of egg puffs before. I wanted to make a chicken and leek pie which i have seen in many shows and online. Found some fresh leeks in my super market, so i bought it and made an individual serving portions of it. It was just delicious.
Ingredients for Quick & Easy Chicken And Leek Pie
Leeks have a flavour that is similar to a mild onion that is slightly sweet. The more tender the flavour and texture of the leek, the younger it is. For raw preparations, these are preferred.
Dried Tarragon :
Tarragon is a culinary herb with glossy, skinny leaves and an aromatic flavour. The French variety is the most commonly used in cooking. Tarragon is used in many French dishes, including Bearnaise sauce, and its delicate flavour complements fish, chicken, and eggs.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe
- Puff Pastry - 1 batch
- Butter - 2 tblspn
- Leeks - 2 large sliced thinly
- Boneless Chicken Breast - 2 large chopped finely
- All Purpose Flour - 2 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Milk - 1 cup
- Dried Tarragon - 1 tsp
- Egg - 1 for egg wash or little cream
- First make the filling, heat butter in a pan, add in leeks and saute it on medium heat till it is wilted and cooked, it will take around 8 mins.
- Toss chicken cubes in flour and add it right into the pan with leeks. Now saute this whole thing together for a good 5 mins till the chicken is done. Meanwhile season with chicken with salt and pepper.
- Now add in dried tarragon and mix well.
- Now add in milk and mix well. Cook till it thickens.Now set aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 220 degree C. Line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper and set aside.Now take your puff pastry sheets and cut into 6 equal portions.
- Now spoon generous amount of filling on one side of the pastry, cover with another one and use a fork to seal the edges. Now make a cross in the center of the pie and brush with egg wash or milk or cream.Now pop it into the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 mins, till the top is golden brown.Remove it from oven and cool down for 5 mins. Now remove this to a plate and serve.
Chicken leek pie Step by Step
|Take your leeks and wash them well|