Sardine Fry (Mathi / Chala Fry) with step by step pictures. Spicy mathi fry or chala meen fry which taste so delicious with rice.
Frankly speaking I could never get a perfect recipe for frying sardine fish. I know frying fish is one of the simplest thing you could ever imagine. But each and every time I make it, I find it is lacking something. Sometimes I find it very bland, sometimes it gets stuck to the pan and fall apart. But this was the time I got it perfect. The fish turned out perfectly cooked, and had full of flavour. Everything came together beautifully.
The reason for this is the marination and the way of cooking. I added all the spices and the oil in the fish and left it to marinate. So you don't need oil while frying the fish.
And also the fish is fried in a bed of curry leaves, which prevents it from sticking as well as absorbs the flavour from the curry leaves. This is one of the kicking recipe. I hope you will love this and let me know how it turned out for you, if you try it.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Sardine Fry (Mathi / Chala Fry)
- Sardine Fish | Mathi | Chala Meen - 20
- Curry leaves - 10 sprigs with the stem Left Whole
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil - ¼ cup
- Lemon Juice - 1 tblspn or to taste
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 4
- Clean the fish and make some slashes in it.
- Take ginger, garlic and shallot in a blender and make into a rough puree.
- Add in turmeric, chilli, pepper powder, salt in to it and mix well.
- Add in some lemon juice, coconut oil and make into a paste.
- Now add in the fish and mix well with the masala. Let this marinate for 20-30 mins.
- Now take a non stick tawa. Arrange some curry leaves along with the stem over it. Place the fish over the curry leaves and let it cook for 5 mins on one side. flip them over
- and cook for another 5 mins on other side.
- Carefully remove them from the pan along with the curry leaves and serve.