Tomato Masala Recipe – Spicy Thakkali Masala Recipe with step wise pictures.
Delicious and spicy tomato masala which taste so yummy with idli, dosa, idiyappam, roti or with some hot rice.
This is a easy and simple tomato masala with lots of garlic and big chunks of tomatoes cooked down with a spicy freshly roasted masala. It taste yummy when mixed with some hot rice with a drizzle of ghee.
Right now tomatoes are super cheap. They are selling it for 10 Rs per kg here, So we are using it abundantly and make quite a lot of tomato based recipes.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Tomato - 4 large chopped
- Oil - 4 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds / Malli - 3 tblsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 2 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small stick
- Dry Red Chilli - 4 to 5
- Roasted Gram Dal / Pottu Kadalai - 1 tblsp
- Coconut - 3 tblsp
- Take all roasting ingredients in a pan and dry roast till golden. Take it in a blender and puree till smooth.
- Now take oil in a pan, add mustard and cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add in curry leaves and let them sizzle.
- Add in tomatoes and toss well.
- Add in salt and sugar and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Add in ground masala and water and cook for 10 mins.
1)Take dry red chillies, cinnamon, coriander seeds and fennel seeds in a pan.
2)Toast for few mins.
3)Add in roasted gram dal – pottu kadalai.
4)Toast for few mins.
5)Add in coconut.
6)Toast till coconut is golden,
7)Take it in a blender and make it into a fine puree.
8)Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds,
9)Add in curry leaves
10)Add in garlic cloves.
11)) Add in tomatoes.
13)Add in salt and sugar
15)Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
16)Now tomatoes are softened a little.
16)Add the ground masala.
18)Simmer till thick.