Homemade Treacle Recipe – Black Treacle Recipe with step wise pictures.
Super easy method to make treacle at home. This recipe is so quick to make also very perfect. You can use this treacle in cakes, scones, cookies and many more.
Buying treacle can be pretty expensive, but i am telling you, this recipe is super easy and is very cheap to make. It is very very easy to make at home. You can use this in any baking recipes or any recipe that calls for treacle. It is a fool proof and very yummy syrup. It is a british product. You can use this specially in gingerbread. YUM!
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Sugar - 200 grams (1 cup)
- Water - ¼ cup
- Sugar - 500 grams (2½ cup)
- Boiling Water - 1 cup
- Lemon - ½ of a small lemon
- Take 200 grams sugar and ¼ cup water in a big pot.
- Put it on heat and mix on low heat till sugar is completely melted.
- Now cook this till the sugar caramelize. Dont stir, just swirl the pan. cook till it gets nice golden colour. Then lower the heat and cook till sugars gets deep colour almost black.
- Now slowly add in boiling water and keep mixing. It will splatter be careful. Once you added all the water mix well so the sugar comes back to a boiling point.
- At this point add in 500 grams of sugar and mix well. Keep mixing on a low heat till all the sugar is melted,.
- Now add in lemon slice into the syrup and mix well.
- Once all the sugar is melted, put the flame to a low simmer (very low low flame) and simmer this for 15 to 20 mins till the mixture thickens little.
- The mixture will look watery but once it cools it will thickens.
- Now strain syrup and put it in a clean dry heat safe container when it is still hot.
- set aside to cool down completely.
- Now if you check it will be thickened like a treacle
- Cover it and store it in your shelf for many months.
2)When you are simmering the sugar for the final stage, cook it on a very very low heat.
3)Adding lemon is important, the citric acid in the lemon will prevent the sugar from getting crystalized.
4)If have over cooked the syrup and once it cools down, if it gets too thick than needed, dont worry, empty the sugar in a pan and add more boiling water and simmer for couple of mins.
5)Store this in a clean, dry heat safe jar in normal cupboard and not in fridge.
1)Take sugar in a large pot
2)Add some water
4)Bring it to a boil. Swirl the pan so the sugar is melted
5)Now boil this till the colour changes
6)It will get light golden first.
7)Now it will get darker and darker
8)Cook on a medium heat till the sugar gets dark colour
9)Now it is perfect.
10)The colour is nice and dark
11)Now it is time to add the hot boiling water
12)First add in some hot boiling water. I mistakenly added sugar first so the sugar got crystalized. So please add boiling water first and then the sugar.
13)Once you add water, mix and get rid of all the lumps. Then add in sugar
14)Mix and cook till sugar melts
15)Now it is almost melted
16)Take a piece of lemon
17)Squeeze in the juice
18)Drop the peel too
19)Low the flame and cook for 10 to 15 mins.
20)Now it is done.
21)Remove the lemon peel
22)Store it in a clean dry jar
23)This keeps well for over a month in room temp. Dont store in fridge.
24)I will share few recipes using this.
I am Aarthi, a happy homemaker, mom of two beautiful girls, married to my high school sweet heart. My goal is to teach people that cooking can be way more easier and joyful than they think. Yummy Tummy features recipes all over the world with step wise pictures which surely shows the ease of cooking.