How to Make treacle at home. This Black treacle recipe is so quick to make also very perfect. You can use this treacle in cakes, scones, cookies and many more.
Homemade Treacle Recipe - Black Treacle Recipe with step wise pictures.
Super easy method to make treacle at home. This recipe is so quick to make also very perfect. You can use this treacle in cakes, scones, cookies and many more.
What is Treacle?
Buying treacle can be pretty expensive, but i am telling you, this recipe is super easy and is very cheap to make. It is very very easy to make at home. You can use this in any baking recipes or any recipe that calls for it. It is a fool proof and very yummy syrup. It is a british product. You can use this specially in gingerbread. YUM!
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Golden Syrup Recipe - How to Make Golden Syrup | Homemade Golden Syrup
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Homemade Treacle Recipe
- Sugar - 200 grams 1 cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Sugar - 500 grams 2 ½ cup
- Boiling Water - 1 cup
- Lemon - ½ of a small lemon
- Take 200 grams sugar and ¼ cup water in a big pot.
- Put it on heat and mix on low heat till sugar is completely melted.
- Now cook this till the sugar caramelize. Dont stir, just swirl the pan. cook till it gets nice golden colour. Then lower the heat and cook till sugars gets deep colour almost black.
- Now slowly add in boiling water and keep mixing. It will splatter be careful. Once you added all the water mix well so the sugar comes back to a boiling point.
- At this point add in 500 grams of sugar and mix well. Keep mixing on a low heat till all the sugar is melted,.
- Now add in lemon slice into the syrup and mix well.
- Once all the sugar is melted, put the flame to a low simmer (very low low flame) and simmer this for 15 to 20 mins till the mixture thickens little.
- The mixture will look watery but once it cools it will thickens.
- Now strain syrup and put it in a clean dry heat safe container when it is still hot.
- set aside to cool down completely.
- Now if you check it will be thickened like a treacle
- Cover it and store it in your shelf for many months.
2)When you are simmering the sugar for the final stage, cook it on a very very low heat.
3)Adding lemon is important, the citric acid in the lemon will prevent the sugar from getting crystalized.
4)If have over cooked the syrup and once it cools down, if it gets too thick than needed, dont worry, empty the sugar in a pan and add more boiling water and simmer for couple of mins.
5)Store this in a clean, dry heat safe jar in normal cupboard and not in fridge.
Step by Step Pictures
1)Take sugar in a large pot
2)Add some water
4)Bring it to a boil. Swirl the pan so the sugar is melted
5)Now boil this till the colour changes
6)It will get light golden first.
7)Now it will get darker and darker
8)Cook on a medium heat till the sugar gets dark colour
9)Now it is perfect.
10)The colour is nice and dark
11)Now it is time to add the hot boiling water
12)First add in some hot boiling water. I mistakenly added sugar first so the sugar got crystalized. So please add boiling water first and then the sugar.
13)Once you add water, mix and get rid of all the lumps. Then add in sugar
14)Mix and cook till sugar melts
15)Now it is almost melted
16)Take a piece of lemon
17)Squeeze in the juice
18)Drop the peel too
19)Low the flame and cook for 10 to 15 mins.
20)Now it is done.
21)Remove the lemon peel
22)Store it in a clean dry jar
23)This keeps well for over a month in room temp. Don't store in fridge.
24)I will share few recipes using this.
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I would like to ask you for how long this treacle would last. I just need a table spoon for the cake I’m baking 😅
Thanks very much!
Funny thing about language: in the US, they refer to molasses. In England, as treakle. NOW, I can make my own and I will be doing it this evening! THANK YOU! I want to mzke brown sugar. Love using it and can't buy it here in Kyrgyzstan or in any other country where I have lived outside of the US for the past 9 years. Woo hoo!
How much treacle does this make?
Wow, you saved me a big deal. I needed brown sugar for my cinnamon rolls but couldn't get since it's expensive here. It turned out just amazing. Thanks for sharing.
I was looking for something you make a dark Russian bread in a bread machine. How much would I need for one loaf?
1/4 cup would be sufficient. Try it and let me know how it turns out.
I made this by halving the recipe. However, I think I have taken the sugar too far and it has become quite bitter. Could I still use this in Christmas cake? Will it taste bitter in the cake
I would suggest taste it. If it taste too bitter then you might start with a new batch. But if it still has caramel taste to it you could add it to the cake. But start with just a little bit and then increase.
I think this is a nice taste,
I think swirling also crystalizes it. In my case it did but heat may be a factor. I was able to get this without swirling as intended in step 3. Other than that I followed the same. You have to do this precisely in the manner provided. Thanks.