Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe with step wise pictures.
Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe which is easy to make and taste so delicious. I am showing you step by step method of making the perfect biryani.
A delicious hyderabadi style mutton dum biryani which is not that complicated at all. Follow my step by step directions and you will get perfect biryani everytime.
I have made so many types of biryani, but i would say that dum biryani is the real one and has the real taste to it. I love pressure cooker biryani and one pot biryani as well but nothing can beat a dum biryani when it is properly made..I have few dum biryani recipes in my blog.
The cool part in making dum biryani is, when you are dumming the biryani, your house will be smelling like heaven. And also when you open the biryani it is just heaven. Can’t describe it in words..You can check out my other simple veg biryani and non veg biryani as well.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Basmati Rice - 1 kg
- Onion - 8 large sliced thinly
- Oil - 2 cup
- Coriander Leaves - 1 cup chopped finely
- Mint Leaves - 1 cup chopped finely
- Ghee -1/4 cup
- Raisins / Kishmish - 1/2 cup
- Saffron a pinch
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Yellow Food Colour few drops
- Rose Extract few drops
- Kewra Extract few drops
- Mutton - 1 kg
- Raw Papaya Paste - 3 tblsp
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder - 5 to 6 tblsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 4 tblsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1 cup chopped
- Mint Leaves - 1 cup chopped
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Fried Onions - 2 cups
- Green Chillies - 5 to 6 chopped finely
- Lemon Juice - 2 to 3 tblsp
- Fried Onion Oil - 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and fry onions till golden brown and set aside.
- Take mutton and add ingredients and mix well. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile soak basmati for 1 hour.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil, add salt and add in rice. Cook for 3 to 4 mins till rice is 50% cooked.
- Take a large pot, add mutton and cook for 5 mins.
- Now top with half of the rice. Top with half of the fried onions, coriander and mint leaves.
- Top with more rice and top with fried onions, coriander and mint leaves.
- Top with raisins fried in some ghee.
- Add in saffron and food colour which is mixed with milk.
- Add extracts over the rice.
- Seal the rim with a sticky atta dough. Place a lid.
- Top with mortar and pestle and some water.
- Cook on a very low heat for 45 mins.
- Open the lid, fluff up the rice.
- Serve hot.
2)Add raw papaya paste to make the meat tender and cook faster.
3)If you are not adding papaya paste marinate mutton for 8 hours or overnight.
4)Cook rice only till 50% else it will get mushy during the 1 hour dum process.
5)Cook the rice on very very low heat. You can even place it over a tawa which is heated.
1)First lets marinate the mutton pieces. I am using 1 kg mutton here. Wash and take it in a bowl.
2)Add in raw papaya paste
3)Add shahi garam masala powder. Recipe here. This is important, it gives the real aroma.
4)Add ginger garlic paste
5)Add in kashmiri chilli powder
6)Add in lemon juice.
7)Add in turmeric powder
8)Add in fried onions
9)Add in yogurt /curd
10)Add salt and mix well.
11)Add in coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies
12)Add in the onion fried oil.
13)Massage it for 2 to 3 mins. Now let it marinate for 1 hour.
14)Meanwhile soak 1 kg basmati rice for 1 hour.
15)Now take your biryani making pot. Add mutton in
16)Spread it evenly and cook for 5 mins.
17)Meanwhile i cooked the basmati rice till it is 50% cooked. It will take just 3 to 4 mins once you add rice to boiling water.
18)Take mutton off the heat.
19)Top with half of the rice.
20)Spread it gently. You can see we changed the pot, since the above pot was too big for our rice.
21)Top with half of the fried onions
22)Top with half of the coriander and mint leaves
23)Top with the remaining rice
24)Top with more fried onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves
25)Drizzle in rose essence and kewra extract.
26)Pour over some raisins which is fried in some ghee
27)Pour over some saffron which is soaked in some milk
28)Now it is all assembled
29)I made a sticky atta dough. It is just wheat flour kneaded with some water.
30)I placed the dough on the rim.
31)Cover with a lid and place a heavy object on top. I also poured some water on top. Let it cook on really low heat for 45 mins
33)Fluff the rice