I have covered almost all the chicken dum biryani frequently asked questions in this post.
About Chicken Dum Biryani
I have made so many types of biryani, but dum biryani has the real taste. Love pressure cooker biryani and one pot biryani as well but nothing can beat a dum biryani when it is properly made.
The cool part in making dum biryani is, when you are placing the biryani for dum, your house will be smelling like heaven. And also when you open the biryani it is just heaven. Can't describe it in words..You can check out my other simple veg biryani and non veg biryani as well.
Last saturday our uncle family visited us, my cousin demanded me to cook lunch for him. So i decided to try a biryani since there is nothing more special than dum biryani. I made biryani, chicken 65, raita, biryani brinjal as well. They loved the meal and enjoyed it to the core.
Chicken dum biryani tips & tricks
(which i learned over the years)
About Cooking Rice:
- Always use good quality basmati rice. Make sure the rice is aged and aromatic.
- Soak the rice for atleast 30 mins to 1 hour.
- When cooking rice, use lots of salted water. so the rice has enough space to cook properly.
- You add add whole spices in the rice cooking water (how to cook biryani rice)
- cook rice as per proper texture(check below for tips)
Texture of Rice to Chicken Masala:
If your marinated chicken is runny (if your curd is watery and the masala leached too much liquid), then cook the rice a lot less time.
Preparation of chicken dum biryani
- Washing and Soaking of Basmati Rice
- Making of Special Garam Masala Powder
- Marinating chicken
- Cooking Rice
- Frying onions for garnish
- Layering of chicken masala and rice
- Final garnish with fried nuts and dried fruits
- Saffron milk addition
- Sealing the biryani pot
- Cooking the biryani in dum
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
1)Why do we give dum to biryani?
It basically refers to let the rice and chicken cook under pressure and let the aroma infuse and trapping it inside the pot. Therefore large handis are sealed with dough or cloth to trap the steam, which then cooks the meat or rice until tender.
2)Chicken dum biryani origin?
Many historians believe that biryani originated from Persia and was brought to India by the Mughals. Biryani was further developed in the Mughal royal kitchen. the Mughal soldiers looked undernourished. In order to provide a balanced diet to the soldiers, she asked the chefs to prepare dish with meat and rice. (wiki)
3)How do you serve biryani?
4)How do you find out if biryani is cooked or not?
You can easily know it by the smell of the dish. Usually chicken biryani takes 35 mins to cook. Mutton biryani takes around 45 mins to 1 hour to cook.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
- 1 kg Basmati Rice
- 1.5 kg Chicken
- ¾ cup Oil
- 3 large Onion sliced thinly
- a pinch Saffron a pinch
- ¼ cup Warm Milk
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup Mint Leaves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 50 grams Cashews
- 50 grams Kishmish
- Kewra Essence few drops
- Rose Essence few drops
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Coriander leaves chopped finely
- ½ cup Mint Leaves chopped finely
- 1½ cup Thick Unsour Curd
- 4 Green Chillies
- 3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste - 3 tblspn
- Special Garam Masala Powder (recipe below)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
For Special Garam Masala Powder:
- 10 piece Cloves
- 10 piece Cardamom
- 3 Bay Leaf
- 5cm Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 Black Stone Flower / Kal Paasi
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- Powder the special garam masala powder.
- Start by marinating the chicken with all the ingredients given. Let it marinate for 2 hours but overnight is great.
- Wash and soak basmati rice for a hour.
- Bring lots of water with salt to a boil. Once it boils, add in the drained rice and cook it for 5 to 7 mins till it is 90 percent done. When you taste it, it should have a bite.Drain it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a big pot which you are making biryani.
- Add in onions and fry till golden, drain and set aside.
- Soak saffron in some warm milk, heat ghee in a sauce pan and fry cashews and raisans till golden.
- In the same oil add in chicken and mix well for 5 mins.
- Now layer the rice over it, top with fried onions, chopped herbs, saffron milk, fried nuts along with the ghee, kewra and rose essence. Cover the entire pot with foil and cover with a plate. Place a weight over it and let it cook on a very very low flame for 30 to 35 mins.
- Now remove the weight and foil and fluff the rice carefully.
Tips & Tricks
- Soaking rice and marination chicken is very important, so never skip it.
- Use good quality basmati rice for this, i use india gate basmati rice.
- Cooking the rice perfectly is important. If you over cook it, the the whole biryani will be mushy. So stand near the rice and keep checking it, after you add rice to boiling water, it will just take 5 to 7 mins for the rice to get cooked.
- Marinate the chicken for atleast 3 hours or overnight.
- The special garam masala in this add to the aroma of the chicken biryani. So make sure you use that.
Serving SuggestionsChicken dum biryani is best when served with a spicy and tangy brinjal curry and refreshing raita.
Version 1: Chicken Dum Biryani
1)wash the rice really well. Soak them in water for 1 hour.
Special Garam Masala for Biryani
3)I added all my dry masala in a blender and powder it fine. but i strongly suggest to dry roast it.
4)Special garam masala powder is done. You can store this in a air tight container for later use too.
|Take chicken in a bowl|
6)Add in spice masala. I used kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
7)Add in chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
8) slit green chillies are added.
9)Pour in yogurt. Make sure you use un sour plain yogurt.
Version 2: Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
- Oil - 1.5 cup
- Potatoes - 2 large peeled and cubed
- Onion - 3 large sliced thinly
- Kewra Water - 1 tsp
- Rose Essence - 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves - ¼ cup chopped finely
- Mint Leaves - ¼ cup chopped finely
- Ghee - 2 tblsp
- Saffron a pinch
- Milk - 3 tblsp
- Chapati Dough as needed
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Yogurt - ½ cup
- Chilli powder - 2 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 4 tblsp
- Lemon Juice - 4 tblsp
- Coriander Leaves - ½ cup chopped
- Mint Leaves - ½ cup chopped
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tblsp
- Green Chillies - 2 slit
FOR COOKING RICE:
- Basmati Rice - ½ kg
- Water lots of it
- Pepper - 1 tblsp
- Cinnamon stick - 2 stick
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 6
- Cloves - 6
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, deep fry potatoes till golden brown, drain and set aside.
- In the same oil add onions and fry till golden. Set aside ½ of the fried onions for topping.
- Now take chicken in a bowl, add all ingredients given for marination. Add ½ of the fried onions and 1 cup of the onion fried oil. Mix well and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Now take basmati rice and wash well. Soak for 30 mins.
- Now bring lots of water to a boil. Add all whole spices and salt. Once it boils, add rice and cook till it is 75% cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Now take a large pan, add the chicken in the base. top with cooked rice,
- Now top with fried potatoes, onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves, kewra water, rose essence, saffron soaked milk and ghee.
- Spread chapati dough around the edges of the pan, place a lid over it and seal the pot.
- Cook on very low heat for 40 to 45 mins.
- Now remove it from flame and let it sit for 15 mins.
- Now open the lid and mix the rice gently.
- Serve hot.
1)Heat 2 cups of oil and fry cubed potatoes.
2)Fry on medium high heat till golden brown
3)Now it is golden brown, drain and set aside.
4)Add in sliced onions and fry till golden.
5)Cook on high heat till it gets golden
6)Now it has got nice and crispy. Drain and set aside.
7)Now lets marinate the chicken.
9)chilli powder and salt
10)Add in green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
11)Add in lemon juice
12)coriander leaves and mint leaves
13) Add in garam masala powder
14)Add in half of the fried onions
15)1 cup of fried onion oil
16)Mix well. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
17)Now cook basmati rice. Soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Bring lots of water to a boil, add salt and whole spices. Add rice and cook till it is 75 percent cooked.
18)Drain and set aside.
19)Now take a large pot. Add chicken
20)top with cooked rice.
21)Top with coriander and mint leaves
23)Top with the remaining half of the fried onions.
24)Sprinkle kewra water and rose water
25)Add in saffron soaked milk.
26)Top with ghee
27) Make some chapati dough.
28)Apply all over the rim of the pan.
29)Place a lid on top and seal it well. Put the pan on a very very low heat for 45 mins.
30)Once 45 mins is over, let it sit for 15 mins undisturbed. Now open the lid.
31)Fluff the rice gently.