Nattu Kozhi Salna Recipe with step by step pictures. Chicken Salna is a thin, spicy chicken curry from Tamil Nadu, India southernmost state. Salna makes a fresh coconut paste with fresh coconut, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, poppy seeds, cashew nuts, and green chilli peppers.
I love love salna..It is a bright coloured curry which is usually served with parota. I already have a street food style chicken salna recipe in my blog and this recipe is another version of it. Made this with nattu kozhi / country chicken. So it is very tasty and healthy.
About this Recipe
Chicken Salna is a thin, spicy chicken curry from Tamil Nadu, Indias southernmost state. Salna makes a fresh coconut paste with fresh coconut, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, poppy seeds, cashew nuts, and green chilli peppers.
The Salna is not exactly a kurma or a curry, though it does fall into those categories. Its best translated as Gravy. Its not a soup, but it has the consistency of one. It can be served plain or with large pieces of meat or vegetables. Its something you take for granted when you order Set Dosa or Parotta. Large buckets of this are kept at the stalls, and customers ladle it on top of their dishes. This is not a side dish to
be used as a dip. Salna should be poured over and submerged in your main course. You will want to drink it because that is its nature.
Ingredients for Chicken Salna Recipe
Country Chicken :
Country chicken meat has a rich, complex flavour, as well as less fat and more muscle mass. Many people enjoy the flavour of country chicken, which is not commercially produced, but they must contend with issues such as tough, gamey birds that take a long time to cook.
Tomato flavour is frequently described as sweet, tart, tangy, or well- balanced. Tomato flavour is also known as classic tomato flavour or old-fashioned tomato flavour in some cases. Some tomatoes are described as having a mild or bland flavour.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Nattu Kozhi Salna Recipe
- Chicken - 500 grams I used nattu kozhi
- Onion - 2 large sliced thinly
- Tomatoes - 2 large sliced thinly
- Green chilli - 2 slit
- Curry leaves a handful
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblspn
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- For Roasting & Grinding:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 2 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 2 cm piece
- Whole Pepper - 1 tsp
- Cloves / Krambu - 5
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Star Anise - 1
- Fresh Coconut - ½ cup grated
- Start by making the masala. Heat 1 tsp oil, add in the ingredients given for roasting except coconut. Give a toss for a min. Now add in coconut and fry till it is golden. Remove to a blender and make it into a fine puree. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tblspn oil in a pan till smoking. Now add in chicken, season with salt and turmeric powder. Saute till the chicken is golden. Remove it to a bowl.
- In the remaining oil, add in onions, green chilli and curry leaves. Add in salt and saute till the onions turn golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min,.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
- Add in chilli powder and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Add in the seared chicken, ground coconut masala, water and mix well.
- You can cover and cook till the chicken is cooked, but i added it to pressure cooker, covered it and cooked it for 2 whistle, simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam escape all by itself.
- Open the cooker and add coriander leaves.
Nattu Kozhi Salna Recipe with step by step pictures
|Take all your ingredients|