Jowar Uthappam with step by step pictures. Healthy and nutritious uthappam recipe made with jowar and spices.
Cholam idli and dosa batter is one recipe which i made recently and loved it instantly. It is a simple recipe and taste really delicious. The batter made is multi purpose, you can make idli, dosa, kuzhi paniyaram, uthappam using that batter. The idlies turns out so soft and fluffy. Dosa turns out crispy..I have already share cholam kuzhipaniyaram here..This is the uthappam version and it is yummy.
About this Recipe
Uthappam is a type of South Indian dosa. It is known as uthappam in Tamil Nadu and uttappa in Karnataka. It is known as oothappam in Kerala. known as ootappa or ootappo in Tulu. Unlike a traditional dosa, which is thin and crepe-like, uttapam is thicker and filled with toppings. Because appam is cooked in a round-bottom pan, utthia-appam is cooked on a flat skillet. It is mentioned by name in Tamil ancient literature. Tamil residents traditional breakfast consists of idli, dosai, or uttappam, usually accompanied by sambar and chutney.
Jowar / Cholam :
Jowar is ground into flour, which is used to make rotis, bhakri, cheela, and dosas, among other things. It is a member of the millet family and is gaining popularity these days. It is an ancient grain that has been overshadowed by wheat and rice in terms of popularity. Jowar is known by many different names in India, including jwaarie, jowar, jola, and jondhalaa, and is used to make bhakri, jowar roti, and jolada rotti.
What is difference between dosa and uttapam?
Unlike a traditional dosa, which is thin and crepe-like, uttapam is thicker and filled with toppings. Because appam is cooked in a round- bottom pan, utthia-appam is cooked on a flat skillet.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you..
Ingredients for Cholam Uthapam Recipe :
Cholam / Jowar / Sorghum :
The flour is smooth and gooey, similar to oatmeal, but not as heavy as wheat flour. Jowar pancakes and baked goods are light and fluffy and delicious to eat. Jowar is used to make alcoholic beverages due to its sweet taste.
Urad dal :
When cooked, urad has an earthy flavour and an unusual mucousy texture.
Dry Red Chillies :
Red chilies were introduced to India by Portuguese traders from Mexico. India is now the world leader in the cultivation of dry red chilies. Chilies are more commonly consumed in hotter regions of India, such as Rajasthan, because they help to keep the blood clean and thin.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Cholam Uthappam Recipe | Jowar (Sorghum) Uttappa Recipe
- Cholam / Jowar / Sorghum - 1 cup
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - ¼ cup
- Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for topping uthappam
- Oil for pan frying
- For Seasoning:
- Oil - 1 tblspn + more for frying
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Split Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tblspn
- Dry Red Chillies - 2 to 3 cut into small pieces
- Curry leaves a big handful
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - ¼ tsp
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Wash cholam and dal well. Add fenugreek to the urad dal and soak them separately for 4 to 5 hours.
- Now take dal and fenugreek mix in a blender and add water little by little and make it into a smooth fluffy puree. Take this in a bowl.
- Now add the jowar to the same blender and puree again till smooth. It wont get smooth, but try to get as smooth as possible. Dont add too much water, add little by little.
- Now pour this in to the dal mix and add salt. Mix well and let it ferment for 8 hours or overnight.
- Now make seasoning, heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dal, chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Add in onions and salt and saute for a min.
- Now add this in to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a pan, spoon this mix into the pan and make like a thick uthappam..drizzle oil over it, and cook till golden on the bottom. Flip over and cook for few more mins.
- Now remove it and serve hot with chutney..
Jowar Uthappam Step by Step
|Take jowar, urad dal and fenugreek|
Spoon this in a tawa
top with coriander leaves and drizzle oil around the sides
cook till golden on the bottom and flip