Fish head curry with step by step pictures. Delicious fish head curry which taste delicious and is easy to make as well.
I never thought that i will make a curry entirely with fish head. Normally i throw it away, but one day hubby told me that fish head makes a tasty curry and it adds flavour to fish curry. So i decided to give it a try and i made a simple curry using it and guess what, everyone love it.
About Fish Head Curry
Fish head curry is a Singaporean dish that combines Indian and Chinese ethnic cuisines. A red snappers head is stewed in a curry with various vegetables such as okra and eggplants. It's typically served with rice or bread, or as a shared dish.
Fish head curry was created in Singapore by M.J. Gomez, a chef from Kerala who was living in the country and wanted to introduce South Indian cuisine to local diners. He opened a restaurant called Gomez Curry on Sophia Road, and later on 9 Selegie Road, both in the Central Regions Rochor district.
Ingredients For Fish Head Curry
Fish Head :
Fish heads are among the tastiest bites of the fish, and they play an important role in many cuisines. They're flavorful; in fact, they're frequently more flavorful than the rest of the fish.
Mustard Seeds :
As long as you don't bite into them, whole mustard seeds have a mild aromatic nutty flavour. You can only taste the seeds if you bite into them or grind them into a powder or paste. It has a strong and pungent aroma.
Gingelly Oil :
Sesame oil is also known as gingelly oil. Sesame oil is a vegetable oil made from sesame seeds. In South India, it is used as a cooking oil. Sesame oil is truly a gift from the gods, but these benefits are only available when using cold pressed sesame oils.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Fish Head Curry Recipe
- Fish Head - 4
- Gingelly Oil - 5 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / Vendayam - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves a handful
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 10 finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes - 1 medium size chopped finely
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi - 1 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut - ½ cup made into fine paste
- Tamarind - 2 to 3 tblspn
- Heat oil in a pan, add in mustard, fenugreek and curry leaves.
- Add in onions and saute till light golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till it gets mushy.
- Add in spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Add in tamarind pulp and cook till oil separates.
- Add in water and bring it to a boil.
- Add in fish head, cover and simmer till fish is half cooked.
- Add in coconut paste and mix well. Cover and simmer till oil separates.
Fish Head Curry Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|