“Best Ever Homemade Bagels is super crusty outside and fluffy & chewy in the middle. This homemade bagels is perfect to serve with a cup of coffee or tea or enjoy as a breakfast with some cream cheese.”
Bagels are super amazing. I love making bagels and any bread, not only they are therapeutic to make. but it is super tasty too. Making bread can be so soothing, but there are few tips and tricks to get perfect bread all the time.
A bagel also historically spelled beigel, is a bread product originating in the Jewish communities of Poland. It is traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, that is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked. The result is a dense, chewy, doughy interior with a browned and sometimes crisp exterior. Bagels are often topped with seeds baked on the outer crust, with the traditional ones being poppy and sesame seeds. Some may have salt sprinkled on their surface, and there are different dough types, such as whole-grain and rye.
Homemade Bagels Water Bath
Bagels must cook for 30 seconds on each side in a pot of boiling water. This is actually the most important step in the whole recipe. Why?
- Boiling the bagels gives the bagel its beautiful shine. Also it make sure the bagels are chewy when baked.
- Boiling bagels cooks the outer layer of dough, which guarantees they’ll hold their shape in the oven.
Add honey or barley malt syrup to the water bath. Why? The sugar adds extra caramelization and crisp. I like to add treacle to the water which gives beautiful colour to the bagel when baked without the egg wash itself.
Brushing the boiled bagels with egg wash does the same.
CHECK OUT MORE Homemade Bagels RECIPE
Homemade Bagels Varieties
- Plain Bagels: Follow the recipe below.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bagels: Add 2 tsp of cinnamon powder and 1/2 cup of raisins into the dough when mixing. Also once bagels are baked, sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar if needed.
- Everything Bagels: Add everything bagel seasoning into the bagel dough, also coat the poached bages in everything bagel seasoning.
- Sesame Seed Bagels: coat bagel is sesame seeds. black or white anything can be used.
- Poppy Seed Bagels
- Salt Bagels: Use sea salt flakes.Don’t use fine salt. Coat the poached bagel in salt and bake.
- Cheese Bagels: Add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese to the dough when you add the flour. sprinkle with extra cheese on top and bake.
One of the questions which I often get is Why my bread is not rising. Why my dough is not doubling up. Why my bread is dense.
The answer for all those questions is activating yeast. Activating yeast is so easy. Just follow these steps.
If your mixture doesn’t look foamy.
How to Make Bagels at Home
- Bread Dough: mix all ingredients to form a dough. knead it well for 5 mins till dough is soft and smooth.
- Fermentation: leave the dough to rise for at least 2 hours.
- Pre shaping: once dough is risen, shape it into small balls and roll each ball into a rope like, then bring edges together and seal it smooth.
- Refrigeration: you might need to put the shaped dough rings into the fridge to make the rising process slow down.
- Poaching liquid: bring water, treacle, baking soda in a pot to a boil.
- Poaching Technique: you need to poach bagels in the water for 30 seconds on each side.
- Bagel toppings: prepare bagel toppings by mixing variety of ingredients together. coat the poached bagels in the topping and bake.
- Baking to perfection: bake the bagels till it is golden brown, the treacle in the poaching liquid will help the bagel get golden colour.
- Serve: serve the bagels hot.
You can enjoy bagels straight out of the oven. HOMEMADE & FRESH!
Next Day you can toast them, spread with some cream cheese and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Delicious Ways to Top a Bagel That Go Beyond Cream Cheese
- Strawberries + chocolate-hazelnut spread + chopped hazelnuts
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese + Apple
- Egg + Cheese
- Smoked Salmon + Cream Cheese
- Tomato+ Onion + Cream Cheese + Avocado
- Pasta Sauce + Cheese
- Peanut Butter Jelly
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
- 3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1.5 tsp Dry Yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup or Sugar
- 1 cup Warm Water
FOR POACHING WATER
- Water for boiling
- 4 tbsp Treacle
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
FOR BAGEL TOPPINGS
- ¼ cup Sesame Seeds
- ¼ cup Poppy seeds
- 1 tsp Sea salt flakes as needed
- ¼ cup Granulated Onion
- 3 tbsp Caraway Seeds
- Take warm water, golden syrup, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Leave to activate for 5 mins.
- Now add in salt, flour and mix to a dough like.
- Knead for 5 mins. Place it in a bowl, leave to rise for 2 hours.
- Now take the dough, divide it into equal portion.
- Roll each ball into a rope like, bring it together and seal it well.
- Place it in a baking tray and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Mix together bagel seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 220 Degree C.
- Bring water to a boil, add in treacle, baking soda and mix well. Boil for 1 min.
- Now take the bagel from the fridge 15 minutes before poaching.
- Drop the bagel in hot water, poach for 30 seconds, flip over and cook for 30 seconds.
- Drain it and coat in the bagel seasoning.
- Coat on both sides.
- Arrange it baking tray and bake for 20 mins.
- Knead the dough really good for 5 to 6 mins till the dough is strechy.
- Leave the dough to rise for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- You can use sugar or brown sugar instead of treacle in poaching water. But treacle gives perfect colour to the bagel when it is baked.
- Coat the bagels in any topping as you like.
- You can use the bagels in any recipe.
- You can store the bagels in room temp for 2 days.
- You can store bagels in fridge upto a week.
- Store in freezer for upto a month.
- You can make sandwiches using bagels.
- Toast them and spread cream cheese on top and enjoy
1)Take warm water in a bowl.
2)Add in little honey or golden syrup or sugar
3)Whisk well till combined.
4)Sprinkle over some yeast.
5)Leave it to rest for 5 mins.
6)Now the yeast has started to activate.
7)Leave it for 5 mins till yeast activates.
8)Add in salt.
9)Add in flour
11)Now it is combined.
12)Take it on a work surface.
13)Start kneading. Knead by pressing your heels on the dough and strech.
14)Now the dough become smooth.
15)Place it on the bowl, leave to rise for 1 to 2 hours till it doubles in size.
16)Now it is risen
16)Punch back the dough.
17)Divide the dough into small portion.
18)Divide it into equal portions.
19)Take a small portion of dough.
20)Shape it like a log, roll it to a bagel shape.
21)Make sure you stretch the dough so the holes of the bagel is large
22)Now all bagels are shaped. You can place this in fridge for at least 1 hour. This step is optional.
23)This is after 1 hour. Remove it from fridge 15 minutes before poaching.
24)Mix up bagel seasoning. I have poppy seeds, caraway seeds, sesame seeds, granulated onion, sea salt flakes.
25)Mix well so it is combined.
26)Now lets make the poaching liquid. Boil water.
27)Add in treacle or golden syrup.
28)Leave to boil
29)Add in baking soda
31)Boil for 1 min.
33)Drop it in the treacle water
34)Cook for 30 seconds.
35)Flip over and cook.
37)Immediately coat in the mix.
38)Coat it well.
39)Coat well and arrange it in a baking tray
40)Pop it in oven and bake.
41)Baked to perfection.