Batata nu Shaak Recipe with step by step pictures. Gujarati Aloo tamatar curry made with onions, spices and tomatoes.
I made nice puffy poori along with this spicy aloo tamatar and a lovely salad. The meal was a complete hit. Enjoyed each piece so much. The poori was so puffy and it stayed puffy for a long time. Will talk about that later in another post. The curry was spicy yet flavourful which was perfect with poori. To make the meal even more special I made a lovely crunchy salad.
This meal is the basic thali which can be had for breakfast or dinner. But I love it for breakfast. The potato curry is so simple to make but taste so heavenly. You don't need any onions for this too. This can be served with anything. Hope you like it and let me know what you think.
Other variations in this thali can be
Aloo Peas Curry
|Gujarati Breakfast Thali|
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Batata Nu Shaak Recipe (Gujarati Aloo Tamatar )
- Potatoes - 2 large peeled and cubed
- Tomatoes - 3 large chopped finely
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Ginger - 1 tblspn finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil- 2 tblspn
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro for garnishing
- Whole Spices:
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Nigella Seeds / Kalonji - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / vendayam - ½ tsp
- Spice powders :
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder / Malli podi -1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder / Jeera podi - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add all the wholes spices along with curry leaves and ginger. Let this sauce for a min.
- Add in all the spice powders and mix well. Saute this for 10 seconds.
- Add in tomatoes and season with some salt and sugar. Mix well cook till they turn mushy.
- Add in potatoes and cover it with water. Cook till the potatoes are cooked and gravy is thick.
- Serve it with poori.
Batata nu shaak recipe step by step pictures
|Take all your ingredients|
|Crackle all the whole spices in oil|
|add curry leaves|
|add in spice powders|
|and let it bloom in the oil|
|add in tomatoes|
|add salt and sugar|
|cook till it turn mushy|
|add in cubed potatoes|
|and some water|
|cover and cook|
|till done..garnish with cilantro|