Sathu Maavu Recipe or Health Mix Powder Recipe with Step by Step pictures. Nutritious powder to have on hand to make quick breakfast porridge in an instant.
This is a nutritious health mix powder for adults and kids. This is high in all the nutrition and makes a great breakfast option. A tall glass of this is enough for breakfast.
About Health Mix Recipe (Sathu Maavu Recipe)
Once upon a time this drink was my breakfast, when i was studying school , mom would make this daily and give us. Since it has lots of grain in them. It is rich in fiber, carb, protein. So it makes a great breakfast option. Also it is super easy to make and is great for busy morning. If your kids loves this drink then you are the luckiest mom on earth. I have shared health mix for babies, this one is for adults.
Spend your weekend making this powder and keep them stored in fridge for longer shelf life. You can enjoy this healthy drink all through the week.
This recipe is great for people who are on diet. This keeps you full for longer and stops you from over eating.
Sathu Maavu | Health Mix Ingredients
- Green Gram
- Urad Dal
- Ragi Flour
- Yellow Corn Flour
- Red Rice
- Roasted Gram Dal
- Cashews, Badam
- Cardamom, Dry Ginger
How to Make Health Mix or Sathu Maavu at Home
In my opinion you can use any combination of millets, pulses and legumes in your health mix. But make sure it is good quality ingredients. If you are not sure of the quality you can Wash all your dals and dry it under sun. Try to get organic ingredients.
Ingredients right measure
I have given the measure which I like, i like to add a good amount of nuts in my health mix for taste and health.
Roasting or Sun drying
You can either roast the ingredients in a dry pan or sun dry. I prefer roasting it in a dry pan because of the taste it provides and increases their shelf life.
I like to grind my health mix in a powerful blender till it is super fine. if you are making a larger batch you can give it to mill for grinding.
Store your health mix in an air tight dry container.
📖 Recipe Card
Sathu Maavu Recipe | Health Mix Powder Recipe
- ½ cup Green Gram
- ½ cup Thinai / Foxtail Millet
- ¼ cup Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu
- ½ cup Horse Gram / Kollu
- ¼ cup Red Rice
- ½ cup Roasted Gram Dal / Pottu kadalai
- ½ cup Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Ragi Flour
- ½ cup Yellow cornflour / Makkai ki Atta
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- ¼ cup Cashews
- ¼ cup Badam / Almonds
- 10 Cardamom
- 2 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 3 tbsp Health Mix powder
- 2 cups Water or Milk
- Jaggery or Sugar to taste
- Dry roast all the grains except gram dal, peanuts, almonds, cashews and cardamom. Dry roast on a heavy bottom pan on low heat till golden brown. Cool it down. Take it in a blender and powder fine and transfer to a bowl.
- Now in the same pan roast gram dal, peanuts, cashews, badam and cardamom till golden and cool it down. Take it in a blender and powder fine and transfer to the same bowl.
- Now roast all the flour till golden and take it in a bowl.
- Add dry ginger powder and mix well.
- Sieve this well and store in a container.
- When cooking, take some powder, mix with milk and cook till thickens. Add sweetner of your choice and mix well.
Health mix Recipe Step by Step Pictures
1)Take all your ingredients
2)I am using rice, thinai, urad dal with skins, horse gram, roasted gram dal, peanuts, green gram, cashews, badam and cardamom.
3)I had these readymade flours on hand, so used those. You can use whole grains if you have. These are wheat flour,corn flour and ragi flour.
4)First dry roast all the grain except cashews, almonds, roasted gram dal, cardamom.
5)I dry roast on low heat for 10 to 15 mins.
6)Now everything is roasted. Cool it down.
7)Remove to a blender and powder it.
8)Now it is powdered finely.
9)Take it in a large bowl.
10)Take roasted gram dal, almonds, badam and cardamom in the same pan.
11)Roast on low heat till golden.
12)Take it in a blender and powder
13)Now it is nice and fine, dont grind this too much, else the nuts will get pasty
14)Add it to the same bowl.
15)Now take all the flour in the same pan.
16)Roast till golden
17)Take it in the same bowl
19)You can sieve this
20)Now it is all sifted. Cool this down and store in a container.
21) For making malt, check this link. Instead of ragi powder in that you should use this health mix and cook.
Tips & Tricks
- Roast the ingredients on a dry pan on low heat till it is well roasted.
- Store the health mix powder in a dry pan. I like to store the powder in a dry container. Remove a little quantity in a separate container and refill it as needed.
- Health mix powder can be used to make porridges, puttu.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.