Caramel Custard Recipe with step by step pictures. Creme caramel is a popular dessert known all over the world. It is relatively simple to make using just a handful of ingredients. But there are few techniques for making the perfect creme caramel which I have shared in this post.
As promised yesterday I am delivering you the recipe which I waited so long to post. This is a recipe which is requested by one of my viewers. I actually thought of posting it before itself , but something made me to wait for this special day to post this wonderful recipe. I almost waited for a month to post this.
About Caramel Custard (Creme Caramel)
Caramel Custard is many of us favorite. It is an egg custard recipe which is served with it own caramel sauce. So good cold, but some like it warm too.
Crème caramel, flan, caramel pudding or caramel custard is a custard dessert with a layer of clear caramel sauce. This is one of most popular dessert around the world called with different names.
The taste of this depends in the caramel which you make. If you cook the caramel for a long time then this custard will turn bitter. So make the caramel carefully. I have given step by step pictures for you to understand clearly. I know you will surely try this today itself since it is so special. The time when you take the first bite is the melting moment of your heart. It was that good.
Normally making caramel custard is pretty complicated. It is baked in oven over a water bath. And setting it in fridge till it is completely cold then un moulding it and serving. I am sure it will take at least 6 to 8 hours from making to eating.
The above two pictures of creme caramel is my attempt on recreating masterchef canada recipe. I have linked the recipe in my video post. Kindly check it.
Ingredients for Caramel Custard
Milk is the base for the custard. Use full fat milk for richer and dense custard. Low fat milk can be used in caramel custard but it doesn't provide the real taste for the custard. Some people even use addition of cream in their custard. But it is purely optional.
Next main ingredient in the making of caramel custard is sugar. It is used both in the making of caramel as well as custard. There are recipes which uses sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar. Check my mexican flan recipe.
Vanilla is one of the main flavouring in caramel custard. It adds a subtle aroma as well as flavour to the custard.
Eggs are the main ingredients which helps the custard to set. Make sure you use good quality eggs in the making. If you are looking for eggless alternative, then check my eggless caramel custard recipe.
How to Make Caramel Custard Steps
Start by making the caramel. Take sugar and water in a sauce pan.Heat it and swirl the pan to dissolve the sugar. Once it is dissolved, boil it till the colour changes golden. Pour this into the pan and set aside.
Let's make the custard. Take eggs, sugar, vanilla and whisk well. Add in milk and mix well. Strain this to a jug.
Pour this over the caramel. Now take a bigger pan and fill it half way with water. Place the caramel pan inside that pan and bake it for 45 mins.
Remove this carefully from oven. Allow it cool completely. Put into the fridge for around 3 to 5 hours.
Now release the sides with a knife and place a plate over the tin and holding the tin carefully, invert the tin.Now tap the top of the tin carefully and lift it for a lovely caramel custard. Serve chilled.
Introduction to Caramel Pudding
Caramel custard can be made in many number of ways. In this blog post there are three ways of making it. I have shared the process of making caramel custard in oven, microwave and steamer.
You can also check my other versions here
Caramel Custard Recipe (made in oven)
Caramel Custard | Creme Caramel Recipe | How to Make Caramel Pudding
- 500 ml Whole Milk
- 50 grams Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 190 Degree C / 375 Degree F.
- Start by making the caramel. In a nonstick pan add sugar and 1 tblspn of water and swirl the pan to help it to melt down.
- Let the caramel come to a boil allow it to bubble up till it turns golden brown. Don't stir the pan which results in a sticky caramel. Pour this caramel in a baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Now whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy. Add in milk and mix well. Pour this through a sieve and pour it over the caramel.
- Now take a bigger pan and fill it half way with water. Place the caramel pan inside that pan and bake it for 45 mins.
- Allow it to cool a bit. Put into the fridge for around 3 hours.
- Now release the sides with a knife and place a plate over the tin and holding the tin carefully, invert the tin.Now tap the top of the tin carefully and lift it for a lovely caramel custard.
- Serve chilled.
Caramel Custard Recipe with Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients|
How to Make Caramel for Creme Caramel
|Add it to a pan..I used non-stick, because it will be so helpful in this..|
|add a splash of water|
|and mix well with a spoon....Now turn on the heat and take off the spoon..Don't take that spoon till you reach a golden caramel|
|let it some to a boil..You can swirl the pan but never stir|
|its coming to a boil now|
|let it bubble up..swirl often but never stir..|
|see it is turning a little darker now|
|and now it has got a little more colour|
|its nearly there...|
|ah..Here you have the perfect caramel..|
|Now take a pan..|
|and pour the caramel in it|
|and coat on all sides..Set that aside..|
How to Make Custard for Creme Caramel
|crack open 3 eggs in a bowl|
|now pour the milk in|
|and whisk well|
|Now take a sieve and filter the custard|
|Pour that over the caramel..|
|Now take a larger pan and fill it with water half way..|
|place the pan over the tray and bake it|
|all baked...Now chill the custard|
|Now take a plate and custard tray|
|invert the plate over the tin|
|and flip it upside down...|
|See how beautiful it look|
|slice and serve|
Caramel Custard Recipe (made in microwave)
Microwave Caramel Custard Recipe with step by step pictures. This silky, creamy is an easy dessert made with eggs, milk and sugar served chilled with caramel sauce.
Ingredients for Microwave Caramel Custard
- Eggs - 3
- Sugar - 5 tbsp powdered
- Vanilla Essence - 2 tsp
- Milk - 300 ml or 1 ¼ cup
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp
How to Make Microwave Caramel Custard
- Start by making the caramel. Take 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water in a sauce pan.
- Heat it and swirl the pan to dissolve the sugar. Once it is dissolved, boil it till the color changes to golden.
- Now take it off the heat and add in remaining 1 tbsp water and mix well.
- The caramel will become little watery now. Pour this into the bowl and set aside.
- Now take eggs, powdered sugar, vanilla and whisk well. Add in milk and mix well. Sieve this.
- Pour this into the custard bowl. Take caramel will settle in the bottom as it cooks..
- Microwave it for 5 to 7 mins on high power. It may look giggly when u take out of the microwave, but it will set as it cools. My pudding cooked in 7 mins.
- Now take it out and set aside for 5 to 10 mins. Now chill this for 1 hour to 2 hours.
- Invert it and cut and serve.
Microwave Caramel Custard Recipe Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|
|Start by making the caramel..Take sugar in a stainless
sauce pan, so you can see the caramel colour well
|add in little water|
|mix well while it is still off the heat|
|now you see it has changed quite a bit of colour|
|at this point take it off the heat and add the remaining water|
|now the caramel is a bit runny|
|take a microwave safe bowl|
|pour the caramel in|
|crack open 3 eggs in a bowl|
|add in powdered sugar..it is normal sugar which i powdered|
|add in vanilla|
|add in milk|
|now you see bit of egg yolk|
|so strain the mix|
|this catches the yolk|
|now this is pure custard|
|pour this over the caramel|
|it may look the caramel has mixed with the custard|
|but if you see the bottom the caramel is still there|
|pop it in microwave and cook|
|let it cool down, then invert it to a plate|
|chill it for couple of hours..cube it|
Caramel Custard Recipe (Steamed)
Steamed caramel custard pudding is so easy to make and taste delicious. This pudding is one of the easy recipe to make. It is not only decadent but is super delicious.
Ingredients for Steamed Caramel Custard
- Egg - 2
- Milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - 3 tblsp + 2 tblsp
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder - ½ tsp
How to Make Steamed Caramel Custard
- Take sugar in a pan. Heat till sugar is melted. Cook till it gets caramel. Pour it in individual ramekins and set aside.
- Take egg in a bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat till combined.
- Add in milk and mix well.
- Pour it into mould and place it in a sauce pan with water. So the water comes half way through the bowl.
- Steam for 25 to 30 mins.
- Remove and cool it. Put it in fridge for 3 hours.
- Unmould and serve.
1)Take all your ingredients
2)Take sugar in a pan
3)Heat till it is melted
4)Heat till sugar is caramelized
5)Pour it in ramekin
7)Take eggs in a bowl
8)Add in sugar
10)Add in cinnamon
12)Add in milk
13)Pour it mould
15)Place it in steamer and steam for 25 to 30 mins
16)Cover and steam
18)Place it in fridge and leave it to set for 3 to 4 hours
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is crème caramel made of?
Crème caramel is a variant of plain custard (crème) where sugar syrup cooked to caramel stage is poured into the mold before adding the custard base. It is usually cooked in a bain-marie on a stovetop or in the oven in a water bath.
What is the difference between flan and crème caramel?
Both crème caramels and flans has custard bases and soft caramel toppings. however, compared to a crème caramel, flan has a little denser custard.
Is crème caramel the same as panna cotta?
Creme caramel is baked in a "bain marie" or steamed. Normally it is a cooked cuatard pudding. However panna cotta is usually set using setting agent like agar agar or gelatin.
- Caramel custard has to be cooked low and slow. So when you are steaming, try to do it on a very low heat.
- Eggs are important for the making of caramel custard. So never change the amount of the eggs.
- If you want different flavourings, you can use flavours like almond, pandan, orange.
- If you want richer custard. use half cream and half milk.
- Never take the caramel too dark else it may turn bitter.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.