These pineapple upside down cake is a take on the most popular recipe. This taste delicious on its own or with a scoop of ice cream.
These are my mini version of upside down cake..Not only it is cute to make and look at, but it is such a wonderful and easy treat to make.Perfect for big get togethers.
About this Recipe
An upside-down cake is one that is baked upside-down in a single pan, with the toppings at the bottom. When the finished upside- down preparation is removed from the oven, it is flipped over and de-panned onto a serving plate, righting it and serving it right-side up. Upside-down cakes were once known as skillet cakes because they were baked on stovetops. Before the batter is poured in, chopped or sliced fruits such as apples, cherries, peaches, or pineapples, butter, and sugar are usually placed on the bottom of the pan, forming a baked-on topping after the cake is inverted. You can use a basic cottage pudding cake batter.
Ingredients for Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
Canned Pineapple Slices :
In general, canned pineapples will have a sweet and tangy flavour. As a result, they complement a wide range of dishes, including desserts, side dishes, salads, main courses, and even appetisers. If heavy sugar syrup was used for canning, the pineapples in the can will have a sweeter taste.
They have a distinct sour-sweet flavour that is gaining popularity across the country. Sweet cherries can range from mildly to intensely sweet depending on factors such as growing area and season. Sweet cherries are typically consumed fresh.
Version 1 : Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
|Take all your ingredients|
|I used pineapple in syrup..you can use pineapples in juice..or use fresh pineapples
but slice them first and juice some pineapples as well..
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 ⅓ cup / 160 grams
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Sugar - ½ cup / 100 grams
- Egg - 1
- Canned Pineapple Slices- 6
- Syrup comes with pineapple - ½ cup or as needed
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
- Unsalted Butter - 2 tblspn melted
- Cherries - 6
- For Caramel:
- Unsalted Butter - 4 tblspn
- Brown Sugar or Jaggery - ½ cup / 100 grams
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Grease 6 muffin tray with butter or oil. Add few butter cubes in along with some brown sugar and pop it in oven to melt for just 3 to 4 mins.
- Remove it from oven, and place a pineapple slice and a cherry in each one and set aside.
- Now make the batter. Take sugar, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Give a good mix.
- Add in flour, baking powder and salt and mix well. Add in the pineapple syrup and mix well so it gets into a smooth batter.
- Now use a icecream scoop to scoop the batter and fill each cupcake cases over pineapple.
- Pop this in oven and bake for 25 to 30 mins.
- Remove it from oven and cook it down for just 5 mins. Run a knife around the sides and invert it.
- Serve warm.
Version 2: Pineapple Upside Down Cake
I always wanted to bake upside down cakes since it has real fruit studded on the top rather than just adding fruit puree or essence in some cake..You can taste the real fruityness in the cake this way.
What is a Pineapple Upside Down Cake?
One of the most popular cake are pineapple upside down cake..I was waiting to bake it for so long and finally I made that happen couple of weeks before. I am also planning to bake apple upside down cake as well mango upside down cake..Will be probably make the mango cake tomorrow. Do you have any other upside down cake recipe, tell me I am happy to make them.
Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Many of you think that this is so hard or tricky to make( I was thinking like that untill I made them), but it is so easy to make, trust me on this guys..You can taste the real pineapple in this truly. The original recipe calls for brown sugar, I know I could never find it here, so I always use jaggery in place of it and it worked really good..I highly recommend you to try this and tell me how it turned out.
Ingredients for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 cup /120 gms
- Butter – 100 gms
- Sugar – ¾ cup / 150 gms
- Egg – 1
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Milk – ½ cup / 120 ml / 4 fluid ounces
- Pineapple Slices – depending on the pan
- Cherry – as needed
- For Jaggery Sauce:
- Jaggery / Sarkarai – ¼ cup / 50 gms
- Butter – 2 tblspn
- Water a splash
How to Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Preheat the oven to 160 Degree C / 320 Degree F.
- Take flour, baking powder and salt in a sifter and sieve it. Set this aside for a moment.
- Take a round pan and butter it slightly and set aside.
- Now take jaggery, butter and water in a sauce pan and melt it down. Pour this in the greased round pan. Now top it with pineapple slices and fill the gaps with cherries.
- Now make the cake batter. Take butter. sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat it till fluffy.
- Add in egg and beat again till fluffy.
- Now add half of the flour mixture and mix well. Pour in the milk and mix again.
- Now add in the remaining flour and mix well.
- Pour this over the pineapple slices and bake it for 40-45 mins till the cake is done.
- Insert a toothpick and check.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool down. Invert it on a plate and serve.
|Take all your ingredients|
|Sift flour, baking powder and salt together|
|set this aside|
|Butter a round pan|
|Take butter, jaggery and a splash of water in a sauce pan and heat it up|
|cook till it is bubbly|
|Pour that in the greased pan|
|now arrange pineapple slices and cherries on top of it|
|Take butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl|
|Beat them till fluffy|
|add egg in and beat till fluffy|
|now add half of the flour mixture|
|and the milk..|
|now throw in the rest of the flour mixture|
|and mix well|
|Pour it over the pineapple|
|put it in the oven|
|and bake it till golden brown|
|Invert and Serve|
Version 3: Microwave Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
My love for microwave cake making is taking all over me, i am almost making new cakes everyday. Love baking cakes in microwave so much, because it is so easy to make and also you can satisfy your craving anytime. Check out my famous pineapple upside down cake..
|Take all your ingredients|
|invert and serve|
Microwave Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
- Pineapples - chopped to fill bottom of the bowl
- Jaggery or Brown Sugar - 2 tblspn
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 3 tblspn
- Sugar - 1 tblspn
- Curd / Yogurt - 1 tblspn
- Butter - 1.5 tblspn melted
- Pineapple Juice - 1 tblspn
- Vanilla Essence - ½ tsp
- Baking Soda - a pinch
- Grease a microwave safe bowl with some butter. I used a 250 ml capacity ramekin.
- Take chopped pineapples and jaggery in a bowl and mix well. Lay this on the bottom of the bowl and microwave it for 1 min. Remove it and set aside.
- Now make the batter, take curd, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in butter, pineapple juice and mix well. Add in flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour this over the pineapples and pop it in microwave and cook it for 2 mins.
- Remove it and cool for 5 mins.
- Invert it and serve with a scoop of icecream.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.