Kala Chana Masala Recipe – Black Chickpeas Curry Recipe with step wise pictures.
Healthy and highly nutritious kala chana curry or masala to go with rice, roti, idiyappam or appam. This taste delicious and is simple to make.
You can also check out this mixed legumes curry which is high in protein.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Kala Chana / Black Chickpeas - 2 cups dried
- Oil - 3 tblsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 4
- Cloves / Krambu - 4
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 stick
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 2 chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
- Tomato - 2 chopped
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Chana Masala - 1.5 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves a handful
- Soak chana overnight. Drain and take it in a pressure cooker, cover with water, add salt and pressure cook for 5 whistle, simmer for 15 mins. Take off the heat and let the steam go by itself.
- Take a cup of cooked chana in a blender and puree till smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan, add whole spices and let them sizzle.
- Add onions, green chillies and saute for 2 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a min.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till tomatoes get soft.
- Add spice powders, salt and mix well.
- Add water and chana and mix well.
- Add chana puree and simmer till oil separates.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
1)Soak black chana overnight. Take it in a pressure cooker, add salt and cover with water. Pressure cook for 5 whistle, then simmer for 20 mins. Take it off the heat and let the steam go by itself. Now it is cooked. Set it aside.
2)Take 1 cup of chana in a blender
3)Puree till smooth.
4)Heat oil and crackle some cumin, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves
5)Add onions and cook for 2 mins
6)Add ginger garlic paste
7)Saute them for 2 mins
8)Add tomatoes and green chillies
9)Saute them well
10)Cook till tomatoes get mushy
11)Add chana masala powder
12)Add chilli powder and turmeric powder
13)Add in cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
17)Add in pureed chana
18)Bring it to a boil
19)Simmer till oil floats on top
20)Add coriander leaves