Chicken 65 is a popular chicken dish across india. Making restaurant style chicken 65 at home is very easy. I have shared three variations of this recipe in this blog post. chicken coated in spicy sauce is a family favourite. You will love my dragon chicken and chilli chicken recipe.
About Chicken 65
Chicken 65 is bite size pieces of chicken coated in spicy masala marination consists of chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala powder, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, eggs, rice flour. Marinated chicken is then deep fried till cooked and crispy. Fried chicken is served as it is or tossed in a spicy sauce.
Never miss my KFC fried chicken recipe
How Chicken 65 Got its Name
Chicken 65 is a spicy dish that can be served as appetiser, snacks or side dish. Have you ever wondered how chicken 65 got its name. Chicken 65 name reason has many stories behind it.
Some say that nearly 65 ingredients used to make this dish perfect. Some say that the chicken used in this dish is 65 days old.
The history of this dish is it is originated in a military canteen in chennai and as most of the soldiers, officers were from various parts of the country. And to avoid language problems, they actually used a unique numbering system in the menu card. And this particular dish was the 65th item on that menu. Hence it got its name chicken 65.
This is a simple recipe that can be made and marinated upto 2 days. The longer it marinates the best it taste.
Gobi 65 Restaurant Style
Soya Chunks 65
How to Make Chicken 65 Juicy?
- Marination - chicken left to marinate for few hours is important. The longer you marinate the juicy the chicken gets. marinate the chicken for at least 1 to 2 hours upto overnight.
- Ingredients - Lemon juice, baking powder and yogurt added in the chicken makes it so tender and juicy. It breaks down the tough meat and makes it so succulent.
- Frying Temperature - when you drop the chicken in hot oil make sure the oil is at a high temperature. This will make sure the outer coating gets sealed. Immediately lower the heat to medium and fry till chicken is cooked completely. This will make sure the chicken is cooked and stays soft.
- Over Cooking - don't over cook the chicken. Cut the chicken into small pieces. If you use boneless chicken, it will get cooked faster. So keep checking the chicken whether it is cooked. Don't over fry the chicken.
1)Why my chicken 65 masala gets separated when frying?
2)Can we fry in air fryer?
3)How long can I marinate chicken?
4)How to avoid chicken smell?
5)Can we shallow fry the chicken?
6)How long does chicken 65 Recipe takes to cook?
- Add good amount of lemon juice and vinegar to remove the smell from chicken and it adds nice taste to the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken as much as possible.
- Adding baking powder is optional but it makes the chicken soft.
- Never skip adding egg, it helps in binding.
Chicken 65 Marination
|Take chopped chicken in a bowl|
Love this recipe, you will love these amazing fried snacks recipes too
How to Make Chicken 65 with Chilli & Curry Leaf Seasoning
Chicken 65 is made and served in different ways. The main taste for the chicken 65 comes from the marination of chicken. Chicken has to be marinated and fried to juicy texture. The addition of adding fried curry leaves, green chillies, garlic and lemon elevated the chicken 65 to the next level. It is very easy to make as well.
All you need is to fry the chicken 65 as usual and then toss then in the seasoning. The seasoning has curry leaves, garlic and other stuffs.
Chicken 65 Seasoning Recipe
- Curry leaves-1 spring
- Garlic-4 chopped
- Green Chilli- 2 chopped
- Salt a pinch
- Lemon Juice-1 tsp
- Oil-1 tsp
Chicken 65 with Chilli & Curry Leaf Seasoning Step by Step Pictures
Check these recipes too
Chicken 65 Coated in Spicy Sauce
Ingredients for chicken 65 sauce
- Chilli garlic sauce - Take 10 dried red chilli, 10 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of salt, ¼ cup of vinegar in a mixer. Grind it into a slightly coarse paste. Transfer this into a bottle. Heat 3 tbspn of oil until it smokes. Pour this oil over the prepared sauce. Mix well and let it cool completely. Store this in refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Onion, garlic and green chillies - these taste so good with chicken 65.
- Vinegar or lemon juice - adds a nice tang to the dish.
- Tomato ketchup, Soy sauce - these give umami taste.
Chicken 65 Recipe
- Deep frying kadai
Chicken 65 Marination
- 1 kg Boneless Chicken chopped
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice or Vinegar
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup Curd
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour / Arisi Mavu
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour / Corn Starch
- ½ tsp Baking Power
- Curry leaves
- Oil for Deep Frying
- 1 Egg
Chicken 65 Seasoning
- 1 sprig Curry leaves-1 spring
- 2 chopped Green Chillies chopped finely
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Oil
How to Make Chicken 65
- Mix all the ingredients except oil and flour. Leave it to marinate overnight.
- Now take the chicken out of fridge a hour before frying so it comes to room temp.
- Add in egg, rice flour, maida and cornflour. Mix well.
- Drop in hot oil and fry till golden. It will take around 7 to 10 mins depending on the size of the chicken.
- Drain it and serve hot with some fried curry leaves and lemon wedges
Chicken 65 Coated with Spicy Sauce
- Marinate chicken as mentioned above and deep fry chicken. set aside.
- In a kadai add oil and sauté some garlic and onions and fry till golden brown. Add in green chilli and sauté well.
- Add in vinegar, ajinomoto, salt and mix well.
- Add in soya sauce, chilli garlic sauce, tomato sauce and mix well.
- Add a little bit of water and bring that to boil and quickly toss in the fried chicken 65 in it.
- Garnish with spring onion and serve hot with a little squeeze of lemon juice.
Chicken 65 with Fried Seasoning
- Mix all the ingredients and let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil for deep frying and add in the chicken pieces and fry till golden brown. Drain and set aside..
- Now heat 1 tsp of oil and fry some garlic, green chilli and curry leaves in that.
- Sprinkle some salt and some lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the fried chicken and toss well.
- Serve hot as appetizer.
How to Cook Chicken 65 in Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer to 180 degree c.
- Brush the grill with little oil.
- Place marinated chicken in and cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- Turn the chicken in between once.
- Remove and serve.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!