Chakarai pongal or chakkara pongali , Sweet pongal with step by step pictures and video. It is generally prepared in temples as a prasadam, (an offering made to a deity). This type of pongal is made during the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu and during Sankranthi festival in Andhra Pradesh.
Pongal or Huggi is a popular Indian rice dish. In Tamil "pongal" means "To Boil" or "bubbling up". In Telugu and Kannada, pongali is a dish of rice mixed with boiled milk and sugar.In telugu it is known as Pongali.
The two varieties of pongal are chakarai pongal, which is sweet, and venn pongal, which is made from clarified butter. The word pongal generally refers to spicy venn pongal and is a common breakfast food. Chakarai pongal is made during the Pongal festival.
About Sweet Pongal
Chakarai pongal or chakkara pongali , Sweet pongal with step by step pictures and video. It is generally prepared in temples as a prasadam, (an offering made to a deity). This type of pongal is made during the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu and during Sankranthi festival in Andhra Pradesh.Ingredients can include rice, coconut, and mung bean. Chakarai Pongal is often sweetened with jaggery, which gives pongal a brown color, though it can be sweetened with white sugar instead.
Chakkara Pongal Ingredients
RAW RICE / PACHARISI
Raw rice is added for best texture and taste. It has more starch content which is best for making sweet pongal.
YELLOW MOONG DAL / PASI PARUPPU
Moong dal is roasted and added in the pongal for better taste.
In many pongal recipes milk is not added. But adding a little milk makes it more creamy and tasty.
JAGGERY / SARKARAI / VELLAM
You can add more jaggery as per your sweetness level. If you are assure of your jaggery quality. You can add it directly.
CARDAMOM / YELAKAI
Cardamom is completely for flavour.
Use pure ghee for taste.
Sweet Pongal Preparation
- Take 1 tsp of ghee and roast moong dal till nice aroma comes. Remove on to a bowl. Add rice to that and soak this both for around 15 mins.
- Now drain it and put this in a pressure cooker along with milk and let it come to a boil. Now cover with a lid. Cook for 3 whistles or for 15-20 mins on low flame. Let the pressure go by itself. Remove it and mush it up with a spoon.
- Meanwhile add 1 cup of water to jaggery and mix well, so that it gets dissolved. Pour this jaggery water over the cooked rice and dal through a sieve and mix well.
- Take a kadai and add ghee in it. Add cashews, kishmish and cardamom in it and mix well. Fry till cashews turn light golden.
- Now add the rice mixture in this and mix well. Stir for 5 mins on a low flame so that all flavours gets united. You could add some grated coconut at this point and mix well.
- Remove it and serve.
More Pongal Recipes
Sarkkarai Pongal Step by Step
1)Roast yellow moong dal till aromatic
2)Keep roasting on a low flame till toasted
3)Once it is toasted take it in a bowl and rinse well
4)I rinsed dal and rice together
5)Take them back in a pressure cooker. Add water
7)Add some ghee
8)Add a pinch of salt
9)Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistle
10)The rice and dal is cooked
11)Mash the rice really well
12)Take jaggery in a sauce pan. Add little water and cook till it melts. Once it is melted. Boil for 5 mins.
13)Now strain this jaggery syrup into the cooked rice
15)Now the jaggery is well mixed into the rice
16)Now continue to cook this on low heat for at least 6 to 8 mins.
17)Add little ghee at a time and keep mixing.
18)cook on low heat
19)Add more ghee and mix well
20)Now the pongal has thickened
21)Add in dry ginger powder
22)Add little cardamom powder
23)If you have edible camphor. Add a pinch of it.
24)crush the edible camphor and add it in
25)heat ghee in a pan
27)fry till golden brown
29)pour it in
How we celebrate pongal
Hope you all are getting ready for celebrating pongal tomorrow. In our house we celebrate pongal very traditionally. Amma wake up and makes us to wake up so early to get ready for pongal. She will make pongal in the front of our house using a build up stone stove and using woods and dried leaves from coconut tree to lit up fire. We call it as “Veragaduppu”.
We buy all kinds of country vegetables like elephant yam, cucumber, raw banana and many more and put it in front of god statues as “Prasadam”. sugarcanes are must for pongal. Then we paint the floor where we will do pongal with lots of rangolis and kolams. Amma has prepared everything right now and getting ready for pongal tomorrow. Amma make sweet pongal, ven pongal, medu vada, and raw banana chips. She also make sambar, and some kind of pongal kulambu to go with it.
- You could cook the rice and dal in water and add a cup of thick milk later while adding jaggery water.
- Drizzle some pure ghee over the finished pongal for more taste and flavour.
- Jaggery quantity can be adjusted as per your taste.
- Use raw rice for better texture.
- Moong dal has to be roasted for aroma.
- Use ghee liberally for best taste.
- A little dash of edible camphor can be added for taste.
Sweet Pongal Recipe | Chakkara Pongali | Sakkarai Pongal Recipe
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- ½ cup Yellow Split Moong Dal
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 cups Jaggery
- 1 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ cup Ghee
- 10 Cashews
- 4 tbsp Kishmish
- a pinch edible camphor
- In a pressure cooker. Add in moong dal and roast them on low heat till light golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove this to a bowl. Add rice and wash them well.
- Take this back in pressure cooker, add in salt, water, milk and 1 tbsp ghee. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistle. Turn off the heat and let the steam release by itself.
- Meanwhile take jaggery and water in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil. Cook this for 5 mins till it thickens lightly.
- Now strain this into the cooked rice and mix well.
- Add in ghee little at a time around 2 tbsp and keep cooking on medium low heat for 8 to 10 mins.
- Now add in cardamom powder, ginger powder, edible camphor and mix well.
- Heat remaining ghee in a pan. Fry cashews and kishmish till golden brown. Pour this over the pongal and mix well.
- Serve hot.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.