What is a Milk Peda or Doodh Peda?
Variations and Different Methods of Making Milk Peda:
The traditional method of making milk peda requires lots of time and patience. You need to keep simmering milk in a large pot till it is reduced. Then add lots of sugar and keep cooking till it forms into a dough like. Small portions are pinched from it and shaped into peda like. In my opinion that is the most loved recipe from my blog. Here is the recipe for making traditional milk peda.
2)Milk Peda using Sweetened Condensed Milk (Malai Peda):
This is one of the easiest way of making milk peda, It calls for sweetened condensed milk as the main ingredient. Condensed milk is cooked together with little lemon juice and milk powder till it thickens. Then the mixture is shaped into small pedas.
3)Milk Peda made using Milk Powder:
This method is also an instant version of making milk peda. It is made using milk powder. I have added saffron to add nice fragrance in the peda. It hardly takes less than 10 mins to make.
Here are few variations of making Milk Peda / Malai Peda / Doodh Peda:
But for those busy people, Check out my No Cook Milk Peda Recipe.
VIDEO RECIPE FOR MILK PEDA:
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
- Full Fat Cow's Milk - 1 liter
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
- Ghee - a little to grease hands
- Pistachios - 2 tblspn chopped very finely
- Take milk in a heavy bottom pan and heat it. Once it boil, keep stiring and cook till the milk has reduced in half.Once it is reduced in half, add in lemon juice and keep stiring.
- It will curdle a little. keep cooking on high flame. The milk will get lot more thick now.
- Add in sugar and mix well. Cook this for few more mins till it gets really thick
- Now it will change a yellow in colour. Keep cooking till it gets thick and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Now you will see no water in the mix.
- Take it off the heat and leave it to cool down in the pan itself. It will get thick like a khoya.
- Grease your hands with ghee.
- Now take a small portion on your hands. Shape it into balls and press it little Now make a hole in the center.
- Repeat this for remaining mix. Chop pista very finely. Now place few chopped pista over this and chill.
- Serve cold.
2)Keep stirring so the pedas doesn't catch in the bottom.
3)use wider pan for speeding up the cooking process.
4)Since it is made with real milk. Store in fridge.
5)Don't use too much milk than recommended.
|Take milk in a heavy bottom pan|
|keep stiring untill it comes to a boil|
|once it reaches a boil, continue boiling till it is
reduced in half
|Once it is reduced in half, add in a tsp of lemon juice|
|Now you can see the milk has curdled very little…
Dont add too much lemon juice
|now it will start to thick much faster|
|once it is almost thick, add in sugar|
|Now you can see it has got really thick|
|The colour will change to little yellowish|
|now it has started leaving the sides|
|cook for few more mins till no liquid is left and
remove the pan from heat
|leave it cool down,|
|now look at the texture it has got a lot thick|
|grease your hands lightly with ghee|
|take a small portion of the mix|
|roll into balls|
|make a hole|
|now i chopped few pista very finely|
|place them on top the peda|
|Refrigerate and enjoy|