Spread the Joy!
Hai Guys..Hope everyone had a great weekend.Mine was a blast, because it is hubby’s birthday. What could be a happy day than that right?..I surprised him with a chocolate cherry tart at 12’O clock. He was kind of shocked and surprised, I can see the happiness from his face. The day was awesome, I cooked some lovely food for him, went to temple and had dinner in one of our favorite restaurant. So how was urs?
Now back to today’s recipe, this one is a authentic chicken kulambu recipe. They call for local ingredients and fresh ground spices which take this chicken curry to a whole new level. This recipe takes some time to make but it is worth every minute. The end result was so good. Each ingredient which I used in this recipes makes this curry taste so exotic. Specially the shallots, tamarind, gingelly oil and fresh roasted spices.
I hope you will love this one and tell me how it turned out for you.
நாட்டு கோழி குழம்பு / Nattu Kozhi Kulambu / Authentic Country Chicken Curry ( Village Style )
Delicious country chicken curry which is super delicious and so easy to make as well.
Recipe type: Gravies
Serves: 6 serving
- Country Chicken / Nattu Kozhi - 1 kg
- Indian Sesame Oil / Nala Ennai / Gingelly oil - ½ cup
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 15 chopped
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tblspn ( Click here for recipe)
- Tomatoes - 2 large chopped
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder - 1 tblspn or to taste
- Coriander powder / Malli podi - 2 tblspn
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - 1 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp - 3 tblspn (Click here for recipe)
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro a handful
- Whole Pepper - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tblspn
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tblspn
- Cloves / Krambu - 6
- Cinnamon / Pattai -1 small stick
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 10 left whole
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Coconut - 1 cup
- Poppy Seeds / Kus Kus / Kasa Kasa - 2 tblspn
- Heat 1 tblspn oil ina kadai. Add in the ingredients give for roasting and grinding list and saute
- for 5 mins on low flame. Now remove this to a blender and make into a fine puree. Set this aside till use.
- Take coconut and poppy seeds in a blender and make into a fine puree.Set this aside till use.
- Take a large kadai. Heat oil in it.
- Add in chopped shallots, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and saute for a couple of mins.
- Now add in tomatoes and saute for 5 mind till they turn mushy.
- Add in salt, add the spice powders and saute for a min.
- Add the chicken in and mix well with the masala.
- Add in water, tamarind pulp and bring it to a boil Cover the pan and simmer it for 15-20 mins till the chicken is 3/ 4th done.
- Now add in the onion masala, coconut masala and mix well.
- Cover the pan again and simmer for 30 mins.
- Add in lots of coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve with rice.
HERE IS A QUICK VIDEO:
|Take all your ingredients|
|Check out the ingredient list for the name of the spices|
|Start by roasting your spices and shallots|
|remove them to a blender|
|and make into a fine puree.set this aside|
|now take coconut and poppy seeds in a blender|
|and make this into a fine puree too..Set this aside|
|Lets make the curry..heat lots of gingelly oil|
|add in shallots and curry leaves|
|add in ginger garlic paste|
|add some salt|
|and spice powders|
|add the nattu koli in|
|pour some water|
|and tamarind juice|
|cover and cook till the chicken is 3/4th done|
|now add in the ground shallot masala|
|and the ground coconut masala|
|cook everything on a slow flame|
|till oil floats on top|
|add lots of cilantro|
|and mix well|