I wanted to make gingerbread house for a very long time. Finally made it this year. It turned out so cute than i expected.
Even though this is a hard task and takes lots of your time, but your kids will love it. You can bake the cookies a day in advance and decorate it the next day.
A gingerbread house is a novelty confectionery shaped like a building that is made of cookie dough, cut and baked into appropriate components like walls and roofing. The usual material is crisp ginger biscuit made of gingerbread – the ginger nut. Another type of model-making with gingerbread uses a boiled dough that can be moulded like clay to form edible statuettes or other decorations. These houses, covered with a variety of candies and icing, are popular Christmas decorations, often built by children with the help of their parents.
I followed sallys baking addiction blog for recipe and ideas.
You can download template from this link. Source Sallys baking addiction.
It took a solid 3 to 4 hours of my time to make this cookies. You can make this cookies even a week in advance and store in a air tight container.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
FOR GINGER BREAD:
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 3 cups
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Ground Ginger - 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted butter - 6 tblsp
- Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Molasses - 1/2 cup
- Egg - 1
FOR ROYAL ICING:
- Egg White - 1
- Confectioners Sugar / Icing Sugar - 3 cups
- Water - 1 tblsp
- Start by making cookie dough. Take butter, sugar in a bowl and cream well.
- Add egg and molasses and mix well.
- Add in flour, spice powders, salt, baking soda and fold into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Cut out templates as per the link.
- Roll the dough into thin sheets and cut out cookies as per template.
- Place it in a parchment lined pan and bake for 15 to 18 mins. Remove and cool completely.
- Now whip egg white and icing sugar till thick and fluffy. Add in water and whip till pipeable.
- Decorate the house as per image and decorate it.
Refer this gingerbread house making video for detailed idea
1)Take your ingredients for cookies
2)Take butter in a bowl
3)Add in brown sugar
5)Add in egg
6)Add spice powder, salt, baking soda
7)Add in molasses
9)Add in flour
10)Shape it into a soft dough
11)Divide into two portion and place in fridge
13)Use the template to cut out two cookies in each template.
14)I cut gingerbread man, candycane and stars using remaining dough.
15)Place it in a baking sheet and bake. Cool completely.
16)Now make frosting. take egg white in a bowl
17)Whip till fluffy
18)Add in icing sugar
19)Whip till fluffy. Add little water and whip till smooth.
20)Fill piping bag.
21)Take side template and stick together
22)Once four sides is stuck. Let it dry for 1 hour.
23)Pipe the roof
24)Stick the roof
25)Now the small stuffs are baked.
26)Decorate it as per your wish.
27)Bring your kid and decorate it as per your wish.