Chicken Manchow Soup Recipe with step by step pictures. Delicious chicken soup with fried noodles on top taste amazing.
About this Recipe
Manchow soup is a popular soup in Indian Chinese cuisine because of its ease of preparation and hot spicy flavour. Its available in a variety of restaurants and street food carts. Although the soup is named after Manchuria, it bears no resemblance to the cuisine of the region. Manchow soup originated in Meghalaya.
Its a dark brown soup made with a variety of vegetables, scallions, and chicken, thickened with broth and corn flour, and seasoned with soy sauce, salt, garlic, chilli peppers, and, most notably, ginger. It could be vegetarian or non-vegetarian. It comes with crispy fried noodles and is topped with chopped spring onions.
One of the most popular chicken soups in Chinese cuisine is Chicken Manchow soup. Stir-fried vegetables, broth, sauces, shredded chicken, and eggs are used to make this dish.
Who invented Manchow soup?
No one knows the full origin story, and the manchow soup remains a delicious mystery. For all we know, it could have been made by someone who accidentally fried noodles while preparing a steaming bowl of it and decided to drink the mixture of spiced vegetables in water as soup rather than discarding it.
Ingredients for Chicken Manchow Soup
Fresh ginger has a slightly peppery and sweet flavour, as well as a pungent and spicy aroma. Fresh ginger, like garlic, softens with cooking. Its a common flavouring in Asian dishes. Salad dressings, baked goods, soups, curries, meats, and desserts like
gingerbread and gingersnaps are all flavoured with ground ginger.
Garlic has a distinct, pungent flavour that, when raw, borders on spicy and, when cooked, borders on nutty. Sulfur compounds, such as diallyl disulfide, contribute to the mustard-like flavour profile. It loses its acrid raw flavour when dried and crushed into garlic powder, making it ideal for seasoning dishes.
Spring Onion :
Spring onions are very young onions that have been harvested before the bulb has had a chance to swell. The long, slender green tops and small white bulb are both edible and can be eaten raw or cooked.
📖 Recipe Card
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Ginger - 1 tblspn minced
- Garlic - 3 cloves minced
- Spring onion - 2 chopped finely
- Carrot - 1 shredded
- Cabbage - 1 cup shredded
- Celery - 1 stick shredded
- Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum - 1 shredded
- Soy Sauce - to taste
- Red Chilli Paste - to taste I took some dry red chillies and ground it with some water
- Vinegar - to taste
- Salt Sugar, Pepper to taste
- Chicken - ¾ kg
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Corn Starch / Corn Flour - 2 tblspn
- Egg - 2
- For Garnishing:
- Raw Noodles fried
- Spring Onion - green part chopped finely
- First make the chicken stock. Take a pressure cooker add chicken along with some turmeric powder and salt. Add lots of water and pressure cook it for 5-6 whistle. Now let the pressure go all by itself. Open the pressure cooker and filter the stock. Now remove the flesh from the chicken and set aside. Throw away the bones and reserve it for your dog.
- Now heat oil in a deep pot. Add in ginger, garlic, spring onion and saute for couple of mins.
- Add in the shredded veggies and cook for 5-10 mins till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add in red chilli paste, soy sauce, vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper and mix well.
- Pour the chicken stock in this and mix well. Bring this to a boil.
- Now add in the cooked chicken and mix well.
- Now mix cornflour with some cold water and pour that into the soup. Now the soup must have
- Now beat eggs and pour it over the soup while mixing constantly. This will make the egg form into threads.
- Switch off the flame and ladle the soup into some bowls.
- Sprinkle some fried noodles over it with some spring onion.
- Serve hot.
Chicken Manchow Soup Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients..
|You need some shredded cabbage, carrot, celery and capsicum
|This is homemade chicken stock
|Heat oil in a stock pot
|add ginger, garlic, spring onions
|saute for couple of mins
|add in the prepared vegetables
|add in soy sauce
|red chilli paste
|salt and sugar
|and mix well
|add in the stock
|and cooked shredded chicken
|add the cornstarch slurry
|and mix well
|now pour the eggs and mix at the same time..THAT'S HUBBY MIXING FOR ME..
|all done..time to ladle up
|fill your soup bowls
|sprinkle some fried noodles