Vattayappam Recipe with Step by Step Pictures.
Kerala style vattayappam recipe made using rice flour and it can be made instantly. This particular recipe taste amazing and is super easy to make.
I wanted to make this recipe for a long time. Finally i made it few days back. This particular recipe is super easy to make since it used rice flour. I made this less sweet and served it with chicken curry. But you can add more sugar and serve it as a snack.
If you are hearing about this recipe for the first time. This is similar to our aapam. But it is steamed in a pan which is round so it is called as vattayappam. It is served with any spicy curries like chicken curry, mutton curry or even beef.
So here you to the step by step recipe with pictures.
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Coconut - 1 cup Grated
- Cooked Rice - 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1.5 tblsp
- Water - 2 cups or as needed
- Dry Yeast - 1 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Oil - 1 tblspn for greasing the pan
- Take rice flour in a bowl, add water and mix well. Set aside.
- Take cooked rice and coconut in a blender and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add rice flour mixture, salt, sugar, yeast and grind well.
- Pour this into a bowl. The batter has to be little thick like idli batter.
- Now cover and let this ferment for 3 to 4 hours.
- Now mix the batter, add water if needed. Add baking powder if needed and mix well.
- Pour this in a greased pan and steam for 30 mins.
- Remove and cool for 5 mins.
- Now unmould and serve with chicken curry.
1)Take rice flour in a bowl
2)Add water and mix well
4)Take coconut in a blender
5)add cooked rice
6)Blend till creamy
8)Add in the rice flour mixture
12)Grind till smooth
13)Pour it into a bowl
14)Now let this ferment
15)Now it is well fermented
16)Mix it once. Add baking powder if needed.
17)Grease a mould
18)Pour the batter in
19)Place it into the steamer
20)Cover and steam for 20 to 30 mins
31)Look how fluffy it is
33)Slice and serve