I have been longing to make this vada..This is my favorite from my childhood. This vada reminds me my childhood memories from the deep of my heart.
In our place there is a small tea shop, but it is a quite famous one. Around 4’O clock in the evening peoples (mostly mens) gather infront of this shop and enjoy their cup of tea along with this deep fried delicacy. The supplier wrap this in a old newspaper right from the oil..That newspaper will absorb all the excess oil when they are ready to eat. It is hot, crispy and delicious. The interior of this vada is soft and fluffy..Can you imagine the fried onions and chilles aroma just wafting from this..
Ulli Vada / Fried Onion Dumplings / Onion Vada / Onion Fritters
- Onion – ½ kg sliced thinly
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro-½ cup chopped
- Green Chilli-4 chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste -1 tblspn
- Gram Flour / Besan / Kadalai Mavu-1 cup
- Rice Flour / Arisi Mavu – ½ cup
- Curry leaves – 2 spring
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Peru Jeerakam -1 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi-1 tsp
- Chilli Powder-2 tsp or to taste
- Baking Soda -1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying + 1 tblspn for adding in batter
- In a mixing bowl add sliced onions, green chilli, curry leaves, cilantro, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, baking soda, fennel seeds and mix well by your hands..
- You should mix this really well so that the water from the onions start to come out. After mixing this leave it aside for 5 mins.
- Add gram flour & rice flour a spoonful at a time and mix well..This vada don’t need any additional water, the moisture in this onions is enough for making the batter.If you need just sprinkle few drops of batter in this..
- Now heat a tablespoon of oil and pour it in the batter and mix well.This batter should be a think one, so that you can form dumplings out of it.
- Heat oil for deep frying..Make small balls out of this mixture and drop in hot oil.Fry this till golden on a medium flame..This will take around 5-10 mins..
- Now drain this in a paper towel.
- Serve hot with chutney or as it is.