Delicious and healthy rava upma which taste so yummy.Perfect to make on any busy morning.
Rava Upma Recipe
Hope you all had a good weekend.Summer has arrived many of you have asked me to post some summer recipes like salads and juices,so i thought of showing you some of those dishes that cools you this summer.From tomorrow onwards along with my usual post i will post a salad or juice recipe. so keep checking out.
About Upma Recipe
Coming back to today's recipe,ie,UPMA...most of us just hate upma,it is one of the underestimated food.But upma is the most versatile and easiest dish in the world.But sometimes it gets too dry.So I use a little bit of curd in my upma.
So that it keeps everthing so moist and each bite just melts in your mouth.This recipe is a basic method of cooking upma.but there is a another version where you will add lots of vegetables and some other stuff,i will make that and post later.I served this dish with Spicy coconut chutney(will put recipe soon).
Upma Recipe | Rava Upma Recipe | Sooji Upma Recipe
- Rava / Sooji -1 cup
- Onion-1 chopped finely
- Green chilli-2 chopped
- Curry leaves-5
- Asafoetida kayam- ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds kaduku-1 tsp
- Urad dal ulunda parupu-1 tsp
- Ghee-2 tblspn
- Ginger - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves or spring onion for garnishing
- Water - 2 cups
- In a kadai add ghee and crackle some mustard seeds,Urad dal,Asafoetida for 1min.
- Add in onions,green chilli,curry leaves and cook for 1min.
- Add in the boiled water, and mix well,let it come to a good boil.Season with some salt.
- Slowly add in the rawa and mix well.Cover it and Simmer it for 15 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.Serve it with Spicy coconut chutney.
Version 2: Rava Upma Recipe (with vegetables)
I love rava upma a lot. In my opinion, rava upma has to be very soft and should just melt in your mouth. If you don't make it properly, it will dry up and make it so hard to swallow. But you dont have to worry about that because i have found a amazing method which will make this world a better place.
The key for a beautiful soft upma is you have to add a generous amount of oil and ghee while making it and also a cup of milk will do the trick. Yes adding a cup of milk will make this upma so meltingly delicious.
I have made this upma will lots of veggies so it makes it even more tasty. If you are looking for a basic upma, i have a recipe of that too, you can see u can see i have a trick there too. So try this out and let me know how it turned out for you.
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 35 to 40 mins
Serves : 4 to 5
Rava Upma Ingredients
- Sooji / Rava - 2 cup
- Water - 3 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 small chopped finely
- Green Chilli - 3 chopped finely
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Ginger - 1 tblspn minced
- Carrot - 1 large chopped finely
- Beans - 15 chopped finely
- Ghee - 1 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- For Seasoning:
- Oil - 3 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Channa dal / Kadalai Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts - 10 broken
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kayapodi - ¼ tsp
Rava Upma Preparation
- Take water and milk in a sauce pan and boil it up.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add in all seasoning ingredients and let it sizzle in hot oil for a min.
- Once it is done. Add in onions, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves, carrots, beans and fry it for 5 mins.
- Once it is frying, add in salt and turmeric powder. Saute this for couple of mins.
- Now add in the rava and fry it with the oil and veg mixture.
- Pour in the boiling water and milk mixture and keep mixing. The mix will get thick.
- Now simmer the stove and cover with a tight lid and cook for 15 mins. When the time is up, open the lid and fluff the upma.
- Add the ghee and switch off the flame. Cover the pan with the lid. Let it sit for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins. Fluff again and serve upma with chutney.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook,Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
Nice step by step method n pictures.Even a kid can prepare seeing this. Though upma is a simple dish, needs to be done the right way.I like the colour of the dish.And first time seeing curd being used.Good tip.Wl try soon. Thanks.
Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Lovely and colorful upma.. looks perfect!!
Thank you for this, Aarthi!! My upma always turns out dry - I'm planning to try it out this week 🙂
Hi Aarthi thanks
I made the Rava upma it came very well thanks again
By the way I live in London.
Seems so deliciously cooked.
Hi Arthi....can we use broken wheat sooji instead of rawa?if so wat is the quantity of water to be used
@AnonymousYes u can use. U need 2 cup water for 1 cup wheat rava
hI Aarthi, Thank you for all your recipes.
Just a small clarification, no need to fry the rawa for preparing upma? i see you add in straight without frying....kindly advice....
Ur second sentence says to add rava to ghee for roasting.
@Kavi Tinkui didn't took pic of it. but roast rava in ghee a little. u can use unroasted rava as well
@Reem Sunilyes u have use roast them
Why do u add curd?? What purpose?
@Anonymouscurd gives a soft and melt it mouth texture. Even it cools the upma wont get dry.
South indian style
Going to try for my breakfast
Hi aarthi i am u r big big biggggggggggg fan, GOd bless u
I am new to cooking and had been sincerely following your recipes. Some of them had turned up really good (ghee pongal and sambhar are hit at home). I tried this recipe yesterday, the upuma turned thick quickly before I could turn the stove to low flame. So at the end the upuma turned little dry, although the taste was good. Any thoughts on what is the mistake that I made?
Note: I prepared half the quantity of the prescribed recipe.
Hi Arthi, can you please post javarasi upma receipe. Thanks in advance 🙂
Wow yummy yummy upuma. I done in my home with surabhi sooji its mouth watering. Thanks for your recipes.
hi arthi, we should add fresh milk or coconut milk..?
It is fresh milk
Hi Aarthi,how your receipes turns out so fantabulous...?Me and my hubby are not a fan of upma,but I tried this today and my hubby likes it so much....and he asked did u followed yummy tummy Aarthi's recipe....?
Yeah,whenever I tries your recipes it turns out awesome.Thank you very much.
Thank you my husband loved it 😊
Ur receipes are amazing, i got confidance to cook well because of u,thank u so much
Kindly clarify at which step we need to add curd.
add it along with water
Madam whether the vegetables are cooked when we saute it for few minutes as you mentioned
Wow...Rava Upma Recipe looks so yummy. Very colorful and delicious. First time ever I have come across adding milk to Upma. Sure I will try this method. Thank you for the recipe.