Simple bread upma recipe which makes a great breakfast on busy days. Tasty and quick upma made using bread and vegetables. 2 Version of bread upma is included.
Easy Bread Upma Recipe - Quick Breakfast Recipe with step wise pictures.
Bread upma taste amazing when served hot with a cup of chai. This upma is easy to make and delicious to eat. You can serve it with some raita as well. Delicious and easy bread upma which taste amazing and is quick to make. It is perfect to put in lunch box or for breakfast.
They are quick bread upma which can be made in minutes..This verison is lot more healthier since there is lots of vegetables going in..It is great for kids to put in lunch box. Try to add lots of vegetables in this if you are making it for kids..If your kid hates any veggies, sneak them in..they are never going to find out..
You can add some tomato ketchup too which gives a nice taste..This make a pretty filling meal, it can be served for breakfast or lunch or any time of the day.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Version 1: Simple Bread Upma Recipe
1)Toast bread in some oil till golden
2)Cook till golden on both sides
3)Tear the bread into small pieces
4)Heat oil in a pan, add in mustard and fennel seeds and let them sizzle. Add in onions and green chillies
5)Saute for a min
6)Add in tomatoes
7)Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
8)Add salt and turmeric powder
9)Add in garam masala powder
12)Bring it to a boil.
13)Add in bread pieces
Bread Upma | Bread Upma Recipe
- Bread Slices - 5
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Mustard seeds / Kaduku - ½ tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 sliced thinly
- Green Chillies - 2 chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped finely
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add in onion and chillies and cook for 2 mins.
- Add tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Add salt and spice powders and mix well.
- Now add in water and bring it to a boil.
- Add in bread pieces and mix well.
- Cook for 3 to 5 mins.
Version 2: Bread Upma with Vegetables (Veg Bread Upma)
Ingredients for veg bread upma
- Bread – 15 slices
- Onion-1 chopped finely
- Tomatoes – 3 chopped finely
- Carrot – 1 large grated
- Beans – 10 chopped finely
- Potatoes – 1 large boiled and mashed
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku-1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu -1 tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi / Thaniya Podi -1 tblspn
- Chilli Powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal podi -1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder -2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil-2 tblspn
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro for garnishing
Veg Bread upma preparation
- First take the bread slices and dip them in water not more than 5 seconds. Squeeze out all the water and just scramble them with your hands. Set this aside till use.
- Chop all your vegetables. Boil the potatoes and mash them. Set this aside till use.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Add in fennel seeds and mustard seeds.
- Throw in the onions and mix well. Let it cook for 3 mins or untill light golden brown.
- Add carrots, beans and mix well..Cook them for 5 mins.
- Add in tomatoes and mix them till they turn mushy.
- Add all turmeric, chilli, coriander, garam masala powder and salt in this. Mix well.
- Now add in mashed potatoes and bread and mix well.
- Saute them for 5 mins and mix inbetween.
- Garnish with cilantro and mix well.Serve hot or put in lunch box for kids.