Bread Upma! Simple Breakfast dish made with bread, onions, tomato, vegetables and spices. Turn plain slice of bread into this delicious and nutritious breakfast under 30 minutes. A spicy masala is made with onions and vegetables which is soaked by the fried bread to create this easy Indian Breakfast Recipe.
One of our favorite go to breakfast recipe is bread upma. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and everyone in the family loves it so win-win. I like to load it up with vegetables to make it nutritious. Any leftover vegetables can be chopped and mixed into the upma.
About Bread Upma
Upma is a staple breakfast dish consumed all over South India. Some of the popular upma recipes are semiya upma, rava upma, oats upma and using poha. Making upma with bread is getting popular now and convenient, all you need is a packet of bread.
Bread upma is made with onions, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, mixed vegetables and spice powders. Whole fennel seeds is fried in oil and vegetables sauted to create a masala in which fried bread is mixed.
You can make this upma with any bread including whole wheat bread, white bread, pav and any healthy grain bread. I have made this upma with buns and it turned out tasty.
For making bread upma, I prefer toasting the bread in oil or ghee in prior to remove the raw smell from it. It also adds a toasty aroma to the bread upma without making it soggy.
I like to make bread upma with vegetables and makes a great lunch box recipe.This recipe is a great way to use slightly stale bread. Bread upma can be served with hot cup of masala chai & ginger cardamom tea.
Watch Bread Upma Video
Bread Upma Ingredients
Onion & Tomato - sliced onions and tomatoes form the base of upma. It adds the taste and delicious.
Ginger & Garlic - grind ginger and garlic into paste. I usually make a big batch of ginger garlic paste and store in freezer.
Vegetables - you can use any vegetable of choice. I used carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, capsicum and green peas. Cauliflower, broccoli, sweetcorn can be used.
Spice powders - basic spices like chilli, coriander and garam masala powder. If you don't prefer your bread upma spicy, use kashmiri chilli powder.
Choice of bread
You can use any bread of your choice. White bread taste best but alternatively you can use whole grain bread, brown bread and sprouted bread.
It is essential to toast the bread in oil, butter or ghee which removes the raw taste from it. I like to toast them in a tawa. Toasting enhances the taste of the bread upma and prevents the upma turning mushy.
Making Masala base
The base of the masala is onions and tomatoes. You can add any vegetables of your choice. Make sure you chop them fine which mixes evenly into the bread upma.
Make the masala like a thick gravy so that when your add the bread, it absorbs the moisture from the vegetables onion mix. This way the bread upma don't turn out dry.
Bread upma taste great on its own as an evening snack. But taste amazing with plain yogurt or raita. Some of our favorite raita is listed below.
Taste the onion, tomato, vegetables gravy base before adding toasted bread. The gravy should taste great with perfect amount of salt and spice. leave some water in the gravy before adding bread so the upma texture is great.
If you are looking for more bread recipes
How to Make Bread Upma (Stepwise Pictures)
1)Toast bread in tawa till golden on both sides. You can use white bread or brown bread.
2)Take the toasted bread in a plate, tear it into small pieces. Set aside till needed.
3)Heat oil in a kadai. Sprinkle in fennel seeds and let them sizzle. Add in sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add in chopped green chillies.
4)Add in ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell leaves. Add in salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
5)Add in chopped tomatoes and mix well.
6)cook till tomatoes get mushy.
7)First add in hard vegetables that needs longer time to cook. Add in peeled and cubed potatoes and chopped carrots. Saute this for 2 minutes till raw smell leaves.
8)Cover and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes till the vegetable is cooked completely.
9)Once the hard vegetables is cooked, you can add much soft vegetables link bell peppers, green peas and mushrooms. Saute this for 4 to 5 minutes till veggies are tender.
10)Add in chilli powder and garam masala powder. Saute this spice powders with the vegetables.
11)Pour in tomato ketchup. This is optional. You can leave it if you want.
12)Add in some water to form a gravy. Let the veggies cook for 2 minutes in the gravy.
13)Once veggies are cooked, use a potato masher to mash the vegetables roughly. Make sure you leave some water in the gravy because once the bread is added it will absorb the water so the upma doesn't turn out dry.
14)Now add in fried bread into the masala.
15)Toss the fried bread in the masala and cook for 2 minutes.
16)Serve bread upma with any raita of choice.
More Upma Recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Easy Bread Upma Recipe
- 8 slices Bread
- 3 tbsp Oil (more for toasting bread)
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 large Onion sliced
- 1 Green chillies chopped finely
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 large Tomato chopped finely
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Potato peeled and chopped finely
- 1 Carrot chopped finely
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 5 Mushrooms (optional)
- ½ cup Bell peppers (optional)
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup (optional)
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tbsp Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Toast bread slices in oil, butter or ghee in a tawa till golden on both sides. Remove and set aside in a plate. Tear the toasted bread into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai or wok. Add in fennel seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add in onions, green chillies and saute for 2 minutes. Add in ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell leaves.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy. It will take around 3 minutes.
- Add in potatoes and carrot. Saute well in the masala. cover the pan with a lid and cook for 8 minutes till potatoes is cooked. Now add in remaining vegetables mushrooms, bell peppers and peas. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in chilli powder and garam masala powder. Pour in tomato ketchup and mix well. Pour in water and cook covered for 5 minutes. Use a masher to mash the vegetables lightly to combine.
- Add in fried bread slices and toss well in the masala. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Add in coriander leaves and mix. Serve with onion raita.