Chettinad Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe – Authentic Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe with step wise pictures.
A popular chettinad kuzhi paniyaram recipe made the authentic way. This paniyaram turns out so fluffy and taste delicious with chutney or sambar.
I have already shared paniyaram recipe but this is a authentic recipe for the chettinad kuzhi paniyaram handed down to me by my perimma. She made it once brought home, it was delicious. I asked her the recipe and made it immediately and it was a huge success.
There is a special way to measuring dal and rice. Normally it is measured in a ulakku, but i used a measuring cup. Measure raw rice in a cup of flatten the top of it. Now top with urad dal so it is mounted like. This is how it is measured. But i have given a easy measure like 1 cup raw rice and 1/4 cup urad dal. You have soak both of it together and grind in a blender or grinder. Grinding it in a grinder is best.
Look how puffy it looks!
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Raw Rice / Pacharisi - 1 cup
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / Vendayam - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 2 tblsp + for making paniyaram
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - 1 pinch
- Curry leaves a handful
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
- Ginger - 1 tblsp chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 2 chopped finely
- Take rice and dal in a bowl and wash them well, add fenugreek seeds and soak them for 4 hours. Now drain and add it to a grinder or blender and puree till smooth.
- Take it in a large container, add salt and mix well. Leave to ferment for atleast 8 hours or overnight.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard and urad dal and let them sizzle.
- Add asafoetida and curry leaves and let them sizzle.
- Add in green chillies, ginger and onions and saute for few mins. Add salt and mix well.
- Add this into the batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan with some oil, pour ladleful of batter in each hole and cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Flip over and cook.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
1)Take raw rice in a cup. Level it.
2)scoop some urad dal on top of the rice so it is mounted up. This is how my mom and perimma measures, but you can easily use 1 cup of raw rice and 1/4 cup of urad dal.
3)Take it in a large bowl
4)Add in fenugreek seeds
5)Cover with water and leave to soak for 4 hours
6)Now it is soaked
7)Drain and take it in a blender or grinder
8) grind this to a smooth paste adding little water at a time.
9)Now it is grinded well.
10)Pour it in a large container.
11)Add a good amount of salt.
13)Cover and leave to ferment overnight.
14)Now it has fermented
16)Heat oil in a pan
17)Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
18)Let them get golden brown
19)Add in asafoetida
20)Add in ginger
22)Add in green chillies
23)Saute them well
24)Now it has mixed for couple of mins
25)Add to the batter
27)Heat a paniyaram pan with some oil
28)Pour batter in.
29)Cook for few mins and flip over and cook
30)Serve, we had it hot with some sambar
31)Look how puffy it is.