Vermicelli Tomato Bath Recipe with step by step pictures. Tomato Semiya Recipe made with vermicelli, tomatoes and spices.
South indian breakfast thali can be of any foods stacked in it.. Of the examples are idli, sambar, chutney and vadai or pongal sambar, chutney, vadai..You can also add upma to the thali because upmas are famous food in south india. Semiya and rava upma are staple foods over here and amma makes it often. When she makes semiya upma, it is always had with tomato chutney and for rawa upma she always make coconut chutney but she add some roasted gram dal to her coconut chutney for make it creamy and tasty..
About Vermicelli Tomato Upma Recipe
Delicious vermicelli, aromatics, spices, cashews, and herbs are used to make the semiya upma. Vermicelli upma is another name for this dish, which has distinctive flavours and textures. It is very dissimilar to the well-known upma breakfast dish from South India.
Maida, which is produced by grinding very hard wheat, is used to make vermicelli. It only contains maida, water, and a dash of salt. Popular instant food item is vermicelli.
You can also make some other south indian breakfast thali like.
Amma makes semiya upma with plain whole spices and onions..I made it little more different by adding tomatoes and some spice powders to it. This upma is a little bit on the spicier side, so you can have it with thick curd and pickle..I hope you will love it and let me know what you think.
Ingredients for Vermicelli Tomato Bath
Vermicelli / Semiya :
Semiya or vermicelli is a good source of carbohydrates and energy that has a relatively low cholesterol content. But because they are typically made from maida, these are not the best option for people with heart disease, diabetes, or excess weight since they are low in fibre.
Onions are considered a basic ingredient or the foundation of Indian cooking and are used to make any gravy, curry, or bhuna dish. The flavour and aroma of onion transforms any ordinary dish into a mouthwatering and delectable one.
Mustard Seeds :
They are used as a seasoning rather than a base flavour in many Indian dishes, and they really perk up a lentil or rice dish when fried in a little oil with curry leaves . As a result, mustard seeds are excellent for adding flavour without adding fat to your diet.
Tomato Semiya Recipe | Vermicelli Tomato Bath Recipe
- Vermicelli / Semiya - 3 cups I used roasted
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Tomato- 3 chopped finely
- Oil- 2 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Whole Spices:
- Mustard Seeds / kaduku - 1 tsp
- Channa dal / Kadala paruppu - 1 tsp
- Cashews - 10
- Cinnamon/ Pattai -1 small piece
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu - 1 tsp
- Dry red Chilli - 2 cut
- Asafoetida / Kaya podi / Hing - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Spice Powders:
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder / Malli podi - 1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- If you don't have roasted semiya. Roast it in a pan with 1 tsp of oil till it changes colour and remove it to a plate. Since I used roasted semiya I didn't roast it myself.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add all the whole spices and saute for a min till it changes to golden colour.
- Add in onions and cook till golden. Add in all the spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Throw the tomatoes in and cook till mushy.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the semiya in and mix well. Cover the pan and simmer it for 10-15 mins.
- Switch off the flame and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Tomato Semiya Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients|
|Saute all the whole spices in oil|
|saute till golden|
|and all spice powders and some salt|
|and cook till it gets mushy|
|bring it to boil|
|and mix well|
|cover and cook|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Semiya made up of?
It only contains maida, water, and a dash of salt. Popular instant food item is vermicelli. It is a maida-based extruded product and belongs in that category. Sometimes groundnut, soy, or tapioca flour is also included.