Spread the Joy!
As I promised I am delivering you amma’s special appam recipe. This is one of those recipe which stayed in our home for centuries. Amma makes appam like this always. Everyone have their own way of making appam batter, but I think this is the simplest one. Traditionally this is made in a appa chati, but you could easily make this in regular tawa..But you won’t get the shape of traditional appam. But its ok as long as it taste same.
You can serve appam with Egg Korma or Egg Pulusu or any spicy gravy. But the best combo is with Amma’s Varutharacha Urulai Kilangu Korma.. So here you to the step by step recipe with pictures.
Homemade Spongy Appam / How to make the Perfect Appam Batter (without yeast)
Super soft and fluffy appam. This recipe gives you perfect spongy appam.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 4 servings
- Raw rice / Pacharisi / Kachcha chawal – 1 cup
- Fresh Coconut - ½ cup grated
- Salt to taste
- Sugar- 2 tblspn
- Baking Soda- ½ tsp
- Water as needed
- Wash rice till all starch from this goes away. Now soak the rice for around 3 hours. Drain this and add it to wet grinder or blender.
- Now add coconut into this and blend it till smooth.Add enough water so that everything gets smooth. Pour this into a air tight container.
- Take three tblspn of batter in a saucepan and add 1 cup of water in it. Heat it up and bring this to boil. Stir this constantly so that it gets thick. It will take around 4-5 mins.Now remove this from heat and allow to cool down.
- Now add this cooled mixture to the batter and mix well. Leave this on the counter to ferment for 24 hours.
- When you are ready to make appam. Take the batter and add salt, sugar, baking soda in this and mix well. Pour some water and make it little thinner in consistency.
- Now take your appam pan and apply some oil in it. Pour a ladleful of batter in the middle. Hold the sides of the pan and swirl it so that the batter coats all sides.Cover it with a lid and cook for 2 mins until it is cooked through. Remove and serve.
- If you are using a tawa. Heat it first, now take a ladleful of batter and spread it on the tawa as you do for dosa..Drizzle some oil over the sides and cover it with a lid. Cook for couple of minutes or until cooked.
- Serve this with your favorite korma.
|Measure your raw rice..|
|soak it in water|
|take your coconut..You can add chopped coconut as well|
|put rice and coconut in a blender or wet grinder|
|grind it till smooth|
|remove this in a container|
|now take some batter and add water to it..Heat it up|
|cook untill it gets thick|
|look at the consistency|
|add everything in the batter|
|allow it to ferment|
|it will rise a bit..|
|take your ingrediants for making appam|
|add salt and sugar in|
|add baking soda as well|
|take your appam chati or any pan|
|make sure that it has a lid|
|add a ladleful of batter in|
|swirl the pan so that it coats evenly|
|put back in fire|
|cover with a lid and let it cook|