Besan Cheela recipe with step by step pictures. Instant gram flour dosa made using besan and spices.
I love instant foods, because it makes life so simple and provides yummy dish while we are so hungry. When thinking about instant recipes, the first thing which comes to my mind is dosas. Amma have a huge container of dosa batter ready all day in the fridge so she can whip up some hot ghee roast, paper roast or uttapam etc in no time.
Gram flour, also known as besan, is a pulse flour made from ground chickpeas known as gramme chickpeas. It is a common ingredient in Indian subcontinent cuisines such as Indian, Bangladeshi, Burmese,Nepali, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, and Caribbean cuisines.
Chickpeas are grown in the Indian subcontinent, the Mediterranean, Australia, the Americas; Great Plains region, and western Asia. India is the worlds leading producer of chickpeas, with 8,832,500 metric tonnes produced in 2013.
Chickpeas were first cultivated in the Middle East 7500 years ago, according to evidence. The chickpeas popularity quickly spread throughout the world, and they were soon grown and consumed in many ancient civilisations such as Egypt, Greece, and Rome.
This is one of that instant variety..It is a popular rajasthani recipe…Typically it is served with green chutney or tamarind chutney along with a toast on the side..But I served it with Sambar & Chilli & Onion chutney(which will be posted soon)..The meal was so good and I couldn’t stop myself from eating it..Everyone loved it specially my sisters.
Ingredients for Gram Flour Dosa :
Gram flour / Chick Pea Flour / Besan / Kadalai Mavu :
Gram flour, also known as chickpea flour, is a nutty, earthy-flavored flour made from ground chickpeas. It is naturally gluten free and is commonly used in Indian dishes like bhajis and pakoras.
Ajwain / Omam :
Ajwain is a deeply flavorful, tiny seed-like fruit from the celery family that is related to cumin. It has a thyme-like aroma and a slightly bitter, herbal flavour with oregano, celery seed, and a hint of anise.
Coriander Powder :
Coriander Powder is a flavouring agent used in a variety of cuisines. It is one of the oldest known herbs and spices. Coriander is mentioned in the Bible, and seeds from the plant have b een discovered in ruins dating back to 5000 B.C. Its name is derived from the Greek word koris, which means stink bug.
📖 Recipe Card
Besan Cheela Recipe
- Gram flour / Chick Pea Flour / Besan / Kadalai Mavu – 2 cup
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Green Chilli -1 chopped finely
- Ajwain / Omam – 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder -1 tsp
- Chat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi -1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – ¼ cup chopped
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed to make a batter
- Oil for pan frying
- Mix everything given in the list except oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add enough water so that it forms into dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a non stick tawa..Pour a ladleful of batter over that and make a slightly thin dosa..Drizzle oil around the sides..
- Cook for 1 min on one side and flip over and cook on other side too..Drizzle some more oil if needed.
- Cook till it gets crispy.. Serve hot with chutney and eat it immediately, because it is best had piping hot..Once it gets cold it is not that good..
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Besan Cheela Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|
|You just need a bowl and a spoon for this|
|add gram flour to the bowl|
|add chilli and coriander powder|
|chat masala powder|
|add turmeric and cumin powder|